Client claims to have run out of money! Where do I stand?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Question Client claims to have run out of money! Where do I stand?

    I'm having an issue with one of my public sector clients I've been working with for the past 5 months, they're claiming a previous manager messed up the Purchase Order when my contract was renewed, and they've now run out of budget to pay me. It get's a little more complicated as the team I'm working with moved departments in an organisation restructure. The "new" department has all sorts of cost saving targets they have to meet, and as a result management are having an issue with the higher ups {insert generic statement on public sector bureaucracy BS here}

    My question is this, I have a 2 week notice period in my contract, the money runs out in a few days and I wanted to know who would be liable to pay out my notice period should the contract be terminated by either myself or the client. Would it be the client or Agency I'm working through?

  2. #2

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,338
    Thanks (Given)
    231
    Thanks (Received)
    1162
    Likes (Given)
    820
    Likes (Received)
    3051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaunchpadBS View Post
    I'm having an issue with one of my public sector clients I've been working with for the past 5 months, they're claiming a previous manager messed up the Purchase Order when my contract was renewed, and they've now run out of budget to pay me. It get's a little more complicated as the team I'm working with moved departments in an organisation restructure. The "new" department has all sorts of cost saving targets they have to meet, and as a result management are having an issue with the higher ups {insert generic statement on public sector bureaucracy BS here}

    My question is this, I have a 2 week notice period in my contract, the money runs out in a few days and I wanted to know who would be liable to pay out my notice period should the contract be terminated by either myself or the client. Would it be the client or Agency I'm working through?
    Your contract is with the agency, so you have no direct tie to the client, but somewhere in the contract with the agency there might be a clause saying you only get paid when the agency does. Have you spoken to your agent yet? Are they upto date with the payments for the invoices you have submitted or is that at risk too?

    Long story short do not get hung up on the two weeks notice period, as to be fair it means sod all these days
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    99,733
    Thanks (Given)
    25325
    Thanks (Received)
    6777
    Likes (Given)
    25325
    Likes (Received)
    11259

    Default

    At least they were good enough to tell you.
    If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

  4. #4

    Banned

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,172
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    591
    Likes (Given)
    279
    Likes (Received)
    2300

    Default

    Get your last invoice in, then feck off.

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    1,722
    Thanks (Given)
    22
    Thanks (Received)
    104
    Likes (Given)
    93
    Likes (Received)
    364

    Default

    Did you opt in?

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34,173
    Thanks (Given)
    142
    Thanks (Received)
    1538
    Likes (Given)
    1806
    Likes (Received)
    6194

    Default

    You can claim into 1k from your IPSE+ membership if the agency don't honour the contract under the business interruption policy so give them a ring.

    Don't be expecting to get paid for work you didn't (or won't) do.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Did you opt in?
    Opted Out unfortunately, the agency almost insisted that I did, lesson learned.


    @northernladuk

    Thanks I'll look into it.

    I have spoken to the agentcy and thier line is I must resolve this with the client, typical BS, why would they work for their/my money anyway right?

  8. #8

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    24,964
    Thanks (Given)
    829
    Thanks (Received)
    1442
    Likes (Given)
    6354
    Likes (Received)
    5041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Did you opt in?
    You don't 'opt in'. You may 'opt out'. If you don't opt out, then you're in.

    The Agency conduct regs hokey kokey.

  9. #9

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,161
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    101
    Likes (Given)
    709
    Likes (Received)
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    You can claim into 1k from your IPSE+ membership if the agency don't honour the contract under the business interruption policy so give them a ring.

    Don't be expecting to get paid for work you didn't (or won't) do.
    Does that grand go directly into your sky rocket rather than the company bank account I wonder (given that IPSE+ membership is not an allowable business expense)

  10. #10

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,338
    Thanks (Given)
    231
    Thanks (Received)
    1162
    Likes (Given)
    820
    Likes (Received)
    3051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    You don't 'opt in'. You may 'opt out'. If you don't opt out, then you're in.

    The Agency conduct regs hokey kokey.
    Is that what it's all about?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.