• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can my company buy stocks instead of paying me dividends?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont listen to those that 'think' know the answer
    first of all:it's perfectly fine to own shares of funds purchased for income after CT
    secondly - you dont pay CT on dividend payed to your limited from your shares! they have been paid in the source vompany.
    also you get indexation for holding your shares which reduces their 'worth' with inflation so you pay less tax
    in my case im buying dividend yielding funds that grow in value and that value is being reduced by dividends paid.
    so far it works out great

Comment

Can I just check that you are giving out financial advice now? (Is there a scary smilie?)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Can I just check that you are giving out financial advice now? (Is there a scary smilie?)
        your investments can go up and down as well as land in my pocket in form of fees

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
          dont listen to those that 'think' know the answer
          also suspicion you may choose of those peoples who claim certainty but cannot even punctuate or consistently put assemble coherent sentences
          those who do so may get payed by damage to their vompany

For financial / legal advice, I always have a lot more confidence in someone whose writing shows they are a person who pays attention to detail. The detail-oriented person may be wrong and the careless person may be right, but the law of averages works the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            also suspicion you may choose of those peoples who claim certainty but cannot even punctuate or consistently put assemble coherent sentences
            those who do so may get payed by damage to their vompany

For financial / legal advice, I always have a lot more confidence in someone whose writing shows they are a person who pays attention to detail. The detail-oriented person may be wrong and the careless person may be right, but the law of averages works the other way.
            What can I say - tried and tested in my case.
            And the reason for no punctuation is I was writing on surface - tricky to write

but because i didn't hear any questions relating to that i consider this thread as not being serious.
            Last edited by diseasex; 21 April 2016, 12:10.

Comment

LOL. Anyway, you are mostly right, I think.

Part 9A of CTA09: distributions received on or after 1 July 2009
              Dividends or other distributions received on or after 1 July 2009 from UK or overseas companies are chargeable to CT under CTA09/Part 9A (added by FA09/S34) unless the distribution is exempt. Most distributions, including those from overseas companies, as well as those from UK companies which were exempt under the previous rule outlined below, are now exempt. See INTM65000 for more details.
              Note the "most distributions". OP should make sure he understands which are and aren't exempt. But in general, the dividends will not be subject to CT.
              HOWEVER.... When those dividends are disbursed as dividends to OP, they certainly will be taxable to him personally under the dividend tax.

Indexation -- yes, you can use indexation to reduce your CGT if you realise a gain when you sell shares.
              HOWEVER.... Shares sold by an individual are eligible for an annual CGT allowance, not so shares sold by a corporation.

Finally, if you carry on significant investment activity within your company you put the option to use ER in the future at risk. If that doesn't matter to you, no problem.

So you were mostly correct in what you said but didn't give the other side of the story to someone trying to decide whether to invest through their company or not. You can pretty much do exactly as you said, but there are those little details that are important in making an informed decision which you left out.

Details, details, who cares, right?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                LOL. Anyway, you are mostly right, I think.

Note the "most distributions". OP should make sure he understands which are and aren't exempt. But in general, the dividends will not be subject to CT.
                HOWEVER.... When those dividends are disbursed as dividends to OP, they certainly will be taxable to him personally under the dividend tax.

Indexation -- yes, you can use indexation to reduce your CGT if you realise a gain when you sell shares.
                HOWEVER.... Shares sold by an individual are eligible for an annual CGT allowance, not so shares sold by a corporation.

Finally, if you carry on significant investment activity within your company you put the option to use ER in the future at risk. If that doesn't matter to you, no problem.

So you were mostly correct in what you said but didn't give the other side of the story to someone trying to decide whether to invest through their company or not. You can pretty much do exactly as you said, but there are those little details that are important in making an informed decision which you left out.

Details, details, who cares, right?
                To make things simple - if you gain INTEREST from bonds or funds - you have to pay CT. If you gain DIVS then you don't in usual scenarios
                And you are right, if your trading is significant then you will lose right to ER. But only if you ever plan to dissolve your company.
                I gave overall description of this "scheme" and expected some questions related to that.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Ask your accountant.

If you've already asked and didn't like the answer, tough. You're already paying far less tax than a permie.
                  Most accountants are not financial advisors - nor tax experts. This is where investment banks make their money i.e. qualified financial advisors (who also usually have an accountancy qualification but not the other way around) advise companies on this sort of thing.

The answer I would give is - talk to your small business banking advisor who would be happy to help / point you in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                  X