• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for minus £400 in March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Citation needed.

Show me a post from "ages ago" that says that umbrella companies will not be able to repay valid expenses that were incurred before the rule change, if that repayment takes place after April 5th. The first I read about it anywhere was when Lucy posted having received guidance from HMRC this week.
    What was he expecting to do post April 5th?

Also he does get the money back for March via self assessment.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Also, if you pay £250 for a holiday that's not really a tax expenditure as shown in the OP ?

Boo
      That's deduction from umbrella company his holiday was somewhat more expenses

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Citation needed.

Show me a post from "ages ago" that says that umbrella companies will not be able to repay valid expenses that were incurred before the rule change, if that repayment takes place after April 5th. The first I read about it anywhere was when Lucy posted having received guidance from HMRC this week.
        Indeed umbrella told people on the 5th of April - even a few days earlier and contractors could have been paid expenses by asking for faster payments from agents

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          Perhaps the friend thinks the Umbrella would have paid the expenses without deductions.

Or perhaps if, after deductions, he was left with £400 for 10 days work that would have been quite all right.
          Yes that's how it's worked till now, no tax on expenses and get paid net

Sir his salary would have been £4.6K

Comment

I hope you keep as close a tab on your own affairs, as you do your "friends"
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              What was he expecting to do post April 5th?

Also he does get the money back for March via self assessment.
              I don't know what he would do post April 5th, I don't know who he is - but if you can find a post that supports cojak's one that we knew ages ago that this would happen and genuine expenses would not be claimable but would have to be done via self assessment, then can you stick a link in.

Ta.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Got to love the way that £2500/month travel expenses and involving aeroplanes can now be defined as "normal commuting"

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                  Got to love the way that £2500/month travel expenses and involving aeroplanes can now be defined as "normal commuting"
                  In all fairness the OP's 'friend' slums it for the last leg of the journey to the Square Mile, it's made via a chauffeur driven Bentley

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                    The definition of "normal commuting" has nothing to do with the distance or cost of the journey and everything to do with the nature and purpose of the travel.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                      The definition of "normal commuting" has nothing to do with the distance or cost of the journey and everything to do with the nature and purpose of the travel.

Boo
                      Indeed. That was part of the argument we put forward as part of the consultations I believe.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X