• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start-up costs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Oh I have and nowhere is it as blunt as the poster says it is. It is correctly clarified further in the thread. I should read the whole thing really.
    Blunt? WTF are you on about - I said 'generally', that doesn't mean absolutely 100% not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      1. you have previous skills in that area even if it's a GCSE or some other tulipty certificate
      2. your current client requires those skills.
      +1

I've just expensed a set of Cisco online training courses, because my client needs someone to do the VPN/FW/Switch stuff and there is no-one else. Mind you it cost £79 off Groupon so it might be utter pants even though it said 93% off or something....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        +1

I've just expensed a set of Cisco online training courses, because my client needs someone to do the VPN/FW/Switch stuff and there is no-one else. Mind you it cost £79 off Groupon so it might be utter pants even though it said 93% off or something....
        Hmm. Not so sure about that. Surely it should that would come under new skills. I dont remember the guidance saying anything about the client. It's about the skills to deliver what you are doing. You could be a coder and the client needs a manager so you could argue an MBA is required but that's a different skillet to yours.

I think looking at it from the perspective of the client is wrong and can flag up false positives. That particular example 'might' work (but i doubt it) but the rule of using the client as justification I think is not right.

In your example (not knowing what you already do) giving you new skills that you can bill for is a pretty clear example of what is not allowed.

At end of the day though expense what you want if you are prepared to argue it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Hmm. Not so sure about that. Surely it should that would come under new skills. I dont remember the guidance saying anything about the client. It's about the skills to deliver what you are doing. You could be a coder and the client needs a manager so you could argue an MBA is required but that's a different skillet to yours.

I think looking at it from the perspective of the client is wrong and can flag up false positives. That particular example 'might' work (but i doubt it) but the rule of using the client as justification I think is not right.

In your example (not knowing what you already do) giving you new skills that you can bill for is a pretty clear example of what is not allowed.

At end of the day though expense what you want if you are prepared to argue it.
          I do mainly Unix and Unix virtualisation, but this role is to build totally new environments, including the network etc so they are not far apart, one needs to understand vlans, NAT/PAT etc so it's an extension of what I do, not a complete new direction (hence my shed load of recent questions in Tech forum), at the end of the day it's only £79, if it goes wrong I'll stump up but I doubt it'll even get noticed, I've expensed more than that on an Evening Meal when I did a few days in CH....

Comment

Yep. You know your stuff so am sure you've got it covered. Just commenting on the way your original one read and not agreeing with the ' what the client needs' line.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, it's a director's loan. And it is worth paying for stuff (accountancy, IPSE, laptop, stationery etc) before you register for VAT (assuming you go onto the FRS) as you can then claim back the VAT when you do register.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I do mainly Unix and Unix virtualisation, but this role is to build totally new environments, including the network etc so they are not far apart, one needs to understand vlans, NAT/PAT etc so it's an extension of what I do, not a complete new direction (hence my shed load of recent questions in Tech forum), at the end of the day it's only £79, if it goes wrong I'll stump up but I doubt it'll even get noticed, I've expensed more than that on an Evening Meal when I did a few days in CH....
                You need to explain it in an abbreviated form of this then the fact your current client requires it.

Not that your client requires the skill first.

There is a subtle difference.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Yes, it's a director's loan. And it is worth paying for stuff (accountancy, IPSE, laptop, stationery etc) before you register for VAT (assuming you go onto the FRS) as you can then claim back the VAT when you do register.
                  Cool, thanks. (Also thanks for telling me the terminology- I'll do a search on director's loan.)

Comment

Working...
                  X