• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does an IR35 contract 'red flag' my company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Presumably you reply with 'yeah no problem' rather than 'whats a vat certificate let me write all that down I will have to ask my accountant because I don't know'. If you reply with the latter because you're not ready, then your CV is gonna end up in the bin.
    Firstly I had read this website and searched the forum a while before I decided to go contracting. In addition I had asked Lisa* from Contractor Umbrella plus the contractors I know a few silly questions in private.

I then had signed up with a contractor accountant and my VAT was being processed. I also know other accountants who deal with small businesses, so with that and the information from the contractors I know, I had a clue what I needed to do.

When it came to banks I made a list of banks I wanted to join with business banking then I just wandered around my local high street. One of them on my list agreed they could open me a bank account there and then.

Yeah, and are being torn to pieces like I was when I first did the same thing! I'm only saying it's a huge help to have a free contracting job than jumping in the deep end with no income or experience because I have been in that situation recently and I know exactly what it is like.

No need to be rude to me calling me ignorant as well as poor newbie contractor. The worst part of my contracting experience was trying to find things out on here while people treat you like tulip.
    You have just admitted you were ignorant.

You are also soft-skinned which agents can sense.

The OP, Matty, is clearly neither.

In addition you clearly didn't (or don't) know how to use internet forums. You don't start asking random questions without reading posts, without using the search, and without clicking on links and reading them.

*May not have been Lisa but it was someone helpful from that country.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Of course when I started out I was. And I read stuff, came on here and said I've read X and Y and I am confused, then got torn apart.

I keep seeing others going through this and being torn apart as well, and I've seen them make a comment about NLUK calling him out for being horrible and in many situations deleting their accounts or never posting again.

Personally I think that is tulipty behaviour and very toxic to the community, so I called it out above. I'm sure in a 10 minute search I could find a bunch of similar posts about it.

Because of this bravado macho attitude (perpetuated by the whole forum, see threads about how everyone needs to be invoicing for thousands and driving porches etc.) the answer to so many questions is that you should know every single rule and piece of info otherwise you get called out as AYCOTBAC.

So it's quite simple to assume that if someone says hey I am taking the first steps to be a contractor, that they should either go crying back to permieland because they're not 'tough' enough, or they should go the opposite extreme and man up and go the whole way.

Not because it's the right thing to do, or the best decision, but that's what the macho bulltulip of this forum perpetuates in every facet. Most of the posts in general are always about this. While it's all good fun there, it does carry across. So I was presenting a view that says rather than just go big or go home, it is worth considering that getting into contracting is much easier if you can ease your way in.

My comments are torn apart and I'm branded as ignorant and weak or whatever because I don't submit to the whole oh yes you must go all in and make sure you have a huge BTL portfolio and AYCOTBAC without your 3 sports cars. I just see people that were like me, unable/unwilling to risk going contracting and flitting around for months burning through savings while finding their feet, and say don't submit to this macho philosophy, it's perfectly acceptable to take a few steps and ease yourself in as something to consider.

And I'll put up with the flak I get for that if it saves some newbie going through the torment I went through. I am really tired of seeing people join the forum, post a few times, get torn apart, then complain about how everyone (mostly NLUK) is being super mean to them when they're just trying to get started, then delete their account and leave forever.

But they're just NCOTBAC right?
      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Of course when I started out I was. And I read stuff, came on here and said I've read X and Y and I am confused, then got torn apart.

I keep seeing others going through this and being torn apart as well, and I've seen them make a comment about NLUK calling him out for being horrible and in many situations deleting their accounts or never posting again.

Personally I think that is tulipty behaviour and very toxic to the community, so I called it out above. I'm sure in a 10 minute search I could find a bunch of similar posts about it.

Because of this bravado macho attitude (perpetuated by the whole forum, see threads about how everyone needs to be invoicing for thousands and driving porches etc.) the answer to so many questions is that you should know every single rule and piece of info otherwise you get called out as AYCOTBAC.

So it's quite simple to assume that if someone says hey I am taking the first steps to be a contractor, that they should either go crying back to permieland because they're not 'tough' enough, or they should go the opposite extreme and man up and go the whole way.

Not because it's the right thing to do, or the best decision, but that's what the macho bulltulip of this forum perpetuates in every facet. Most of the posts in general are always about this. While it's all good fun there, it does carry across. So I was presenting a view that says rather than just go big or go home, it is worth considering that getting into contracting is much easier if you can ease your way in.

My comments are torn apart and I'm branded as ignorant and weak or whatever because I don't submit to the whole oh yes you must go all in and make sure you have a huge BTL portfolio and AYCOTBAC without your 3 sports cars. I just see people that were like me, unable/unwilling to risk going contracting and flitting around for months burning through savings while finding their feet, and say don't submit to this macho philosophy, it's perfectly acceptable to take a few steps and ease yourself in as something to consider.

And I'll put up with the flak I get for that if it saves some newbie going through the torment I went through. I am really tired of seeing people join the forum, post a few times, get torn apart, then complain about how everyone (mostly NLUK) is being super mean to them when they're just trying to get started, then delete their account and leave forever.

But they're just NCOTBAC right?
        Of course that behaviour seriously affects the supply of fresh meat to general.

Comment

Working...
        X