• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD: Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly a bit of Yay and bit of Nay. It's true that they are the market leaders (more or less) and it's unlikely they got there by being expensive and/or rubbish. However, based on what I've heard from the few clients I've taken from them recently, customer service is not keeping pace with the fees. There is also a very real concern that their spreadsheet approach is a little behind the times. That said, it has served them very well for years so I can understand their reluctance to change.

I believe that service levels can vary widely from office to office and from accountant to accountant so there's a bit of a lottery involved.

If it were me, and yes, I am biased, I'd look at getting FreeAgent and a FreeAgent accountant. And if personal service is important to you, look at a smaller firm. But importantly, do your research, ask questions of the firm, ask for references, speak to current clients etc. Then make your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      Possibly a bit of Yay and bit of Nay. It's true that they are the market leaders (more or less) and it's unlikely they got there by being expensive and/or rubbish. However, based on what I've heard from the few clients I've taken from them recently, customer service is not keeping pace with the fees. There is also a very real concern that their spreadsheet approach is a little behind the times. That said, it has served them very well for years so I can understand their reluctance to change.

I believe that service levels can vary widely from office to office and from accountant to accountant so there's a bit of a lottery involved.

If it were me, and yes, I am biased, I'd look at getting FreeAgent and a FreeAgent accountant. And if personal service is important to you, look at a smaller firm. But importantly, do your research, ask questions of the firm, ask for references, speak to current clients etc. Then make your decision.
      I think the spreadsheet approach should be viewed as a competitive difference rather than advantage or disadvantage. I have friends (okay, fellow contractors) who use freeagent-based solutions and based on chats we've had, it's boiled down to personal preference.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

That's still a very fair, accurate, round up from a competitor, well done
        Good all round advice, also.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Just to be fair SJD will deal with freeagent as well but it appears you would have to purchase it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Just to be fair SJD will deal with freeagent as well but it appears you would have to purchase it.
            So that would be on top of their already high fees? No thanks.

Comment

Nay - I was with them but they expected me to do most of the work. They missed giving key advise when I was a new contractor. I felt the service they offered was an expensive book keeping service not an accountancy service.

Comment

Pleased with Maslins and freeagent.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  While I wouldn't advocate picking an accountant on fee alone, this would make the cost about £200 PCM which I think is ordering on ridiculous.

That said, I just signed someone over from a local firm who was charging £300 PCM and the client was doing his own VAT and payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I think the spreadsheet approach should be viewed as a competitive difference rather than advantage or disadvantage. I have friends (okay, fellow contractors) who use freeagent-based solutions and based on chats we've had, it's boiled down to personal preference.
                    Interesting. From an accountant's perspective, Freeagent (or similar) seems like a no-brainer but I guess it boils down to what the contractor wants/needs/is comfortable with.

Where Freeagent does undoubtedly win is in time saved for the accountant. Spreadsheets invariably require a lot of duplication and manual entry which takes time. Time is our major cost so using Freeagent can reduce our time, costs and ultimately our fee. If the cost is important, I'd question how a spreadsheet solution can ever be competitive.

Comment

Where Freeagent does undoubtedly win is in time saved for the accountant. Spreadsheets invariably require a lot of duplication and manual entry which takes time. Time is our major cost so using Freeagent can reduce our time, costs and ultimately our fee. If the cost is important, I'd question how a spreadsheet solution can ever be competitive.
                      From the accounts of the major contractor accountants I don't think that costs are a major concern. SJD's recent accounts show profits very close to 50% of turnover and these do not include the full effect of the recent price increase.

It has to be said that contractor accountants are very profitable!
                      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                      X