• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liquidation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newtothegame View Post
    I thought when you liquidated the remaining profit was charged treated as capital gains, not corporation tax??

Thanks again
    No, it's still subject to corp tax. You can then withdraw the remainder (depending on certain conditions) of the money by paying CGT rather than income tax/NI. Probably best to speak to an expert.

Comment

You can change your accountant easily and your current accountant is required to comply. See eg here for more info or google "changing accountants site:uk".

Liquidating your current company won't help you in any way AFAIK and the fees are fairly hefty anyway.

Boo

Comment

Under the scenario presented, you have absolutely no hope of obtaining CGT treatment on the remaining profits (at the ER rate of 10% or otherwise), especially given the rule changes in April under which any distribution would now fall (but even before). This relief is a personal one, obtained via your self-assessment tax return, and is totally unrelated to the liabilities of YourCo, such as CT, which must be paid in full before closure (for a solvent liquidation). Finding a new accountant is a completely separate issue, and I agree that you need one, urgently!

Comment

Ok, any advise on how/if possible to withdraw a payroll from 14/15, if it was run by the accountant in error and do I have to keep my current accountant sweet to do this or could another accountant do it on my/companies behalf?

And what documents does the accountant have to give me??? So I can look for other mistakes...

Basically is his file on me/my companies mine?!?!

Many thanks.

Comment

Broadly the files are yours. That can be very difficult to enforce.

A competent accountant can probably work around that to a large degree for you by way of reconstruction as necessary.

What qualifications does your existing accountant have?

Comment

Hi,

He is chartered, but 74, lovely chap but I have been diplomatic about past mistakes and now at breaking point, that and his useless staff have frustrated me...

My main concern is reverting this payroll, if a new accountant can do that for me then I would move straight across.

Comment

If he is Chartered (by which I assume you mean ICAEW) then file ownership rules are here:

Documents and records: ownership, lien and rights of access | Regulations standards and guidance | ICAEW

More specifically:

http://www.icaew.com/~/media/corpora...o_be_done.ashx

"Reverting" the payroll ought to be easy enough, although it may trigger HMRC compliance checks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                  If he is Chartered (by which I assume you mean ICAEW) then file ownership rules are here:

Documents and records: ownership, lien and rights of access | Regulations standards and guidance | ICAEW

More specifically:

http://www.icaew.com/~/media/corpora...o_be_done.ashx

"Reverting" the payroll ought to be easy enough, although it may trigger HMRC compliance checks.

Thank you, your combined help is very useful.

Compliance checks... ??? not IR35?

I guess, the question is, do I have to go eat humble pie (keep him sweet) and ask my current accountant to retract the payroll which he is failing to do at present.

Or can I just find a new accountant, explain the situation and ask him to fix it...

Obviously the second is going to cost more but I would prefer to sleep easy, knowing it's all done properly.

What is the best approach?

Thanks again

Comment

Get a new accountant. Pay him/her a few hundred quid to sort out the mess and move on. Sticking with your current accountant has potential to make things worse. I bet there are a few other issues you don't yet know about either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                      Get a new accountant. Pay him/her a few hundred quid to sort out the mess and move on. Sticking with your current accountant has potential to make things worse. I bet there are a few other issues you don't yet know about either.
                      Roger that ;-)

While I have every ones attention.

Before I stopped talking with my accountant, he registered me for VAT, I have the gov portal info.

I need to make a VAT payment (I assume) at the end of the month, my first quarter.

Any advise/instructions how to do this?

I don't want to pay it late...

It's my first time!!

Comment

Working...
                      X