• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 - no dividend payments at all?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 - no dividend payments at all?

Being inside IR35 with a single running contract, no other company income - would there be any circumstances where you could still receive a dividend payment (alongside the large salary)

Looking at the popular calculators (e.g. Nixon Williams) the IR35 output shows a net dividend of £3k+ (on £500/day).

Can someone explain?

As you have the 5% allowance for expenses if you have a high day rate it is still possible to make a profit from this amount.

You would also have a Corporation Tax payment on this profit too.

Comment

I also have very high (allowable) travel expenses, which are all reimbursed by my client - putting my turnover up. So the 5% goes a bit further.....but my accountant is telling me there is no dividend to pay, only salary.

Comment

Did you ask your account to explain to you exactly why this is so you can fully understand? Did they mention three 5% to you?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You gain some money on the FRS too.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Did you ask your account to explain to you exactly why this is so you can fully understand? Did they mention three 5% to you?
            Yep I did, and the explanation was vague and confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              You gain some money on the FRS too.
              Inside IR35 doesn't the FLS gain just go down as salary?

Comment

Originally posted by Whoknows View Post
                Inside IR35 doesn't the FLS gain just go down as salary?
                Only if I'm doing it wrong.

It probably isn't worth paying a dividend as you're presumably already into the upper tax bracket. Leaving it in the company makes more sense. Perhaps this is what your accountant has decided for you.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Have queried again, and was told the 5% needs to be kept in reserves for expenses. Have asked for further clarification on this as it seems wrong to me. The FRS gain I thought was just treated as revenue and thus salary. Will query that again now too!

Comment

Originally posted by Whoknows View Post
                    Have queried again, and was told the 5% needs to be kept in reserves for expenses. Have asked for further clarification on this as it seems wrong to me. The FRS gain I thought was just treated as revenue and thus salary. Will query that again now too!
                    Ask for the accountant to send you an email to explain this.

If the email is also confusing find another accountant.

(Most of us here could give you an answer but you need to clarify for yourself if your accountant is any good. )
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X