• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract - Daily Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You can claim the T&S as expenses from your LTD.
    The client won't pay any extra expenses, over the agreed day rate, unless it is signed off.

If you were expecting the client to pay these, on top, you should have agreed this prior to accepting the contract.
    Not Signed anything yet, just a verbal agreement with Agency acting for the client. I was expecting to claim back from the LTD, which is the norm anyway

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      It's rare (in my experience) to claim normal food and travel from your end client, unless overseas.

What's the chain? You > Your Limited Company > Agency > Client? You > umbrella > agency > client?

Chain is Your Limited Company > Agency > Client? > You , No Umbrella

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Hope OP hasn't signed a contract 200 miles from home thinking the client was going to pay for hotel/petrol and now he finds out thats not the case.....
        No I definitely did not do that

Comment

Originally posted by zayn View Post
          Not Signed anything yet, just a verbal agreement with Agency acting for the client. I was expecting to claim back from the LTD, which is the norm anyway
          Usually a verbal agreement is contractual, did you verbally agree to the terms?
          If you have, it looks like you will not be able to negotiate now.

If you agreed "subject to contract", you may still be able to negotiate.
          As stated, before, however, it is not the norm for contracts to pay expenses on top, unless you are being sent abroad.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I am a Client working onsite as in your example BarCap , But the goal post's seem to have changed the Agency Consultant who got me the Gig said initial 3 months rolling now i read the contract it say only until 31st March 2016 . I have already setup a LTD company through an Accountant, but at present this is going to be very costly if i cannot claim back any daily expenses ..
            When you take a contract away from home* you calculate the cost of doing the contract e.g. travel, accommodation. If the cost takes up a significant proportion of the rate offered you turn it down and look for a contract paying a higher rate.

It's not up to the client or agency to fund the fact you live halfway across the country from the main client site.

*I've had 90% work from home contracts but the same rules applied.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I am a Client working onsite as in your example BarCap , But the goal post's seem to have changed the Agency Consultant who got me the Gig said initial 3 months rolling now i read the contract it say only until 31st March 2016 . I have already setup a LTD company through an Accountant, but at present this is going to be very costly if i cannot claim back any daily expenses ..
              Well, if you're contracting for a consulting firm on a client site, you *might* be able to get something on expenses but if you're contracting for the client then no, it's the old tax deductible from your own limited co only. In both instances it doesn't matter whether it's through an agent or direct to the consultancy or client co.

If it's YourLtd > Agency > ClientCo then typically the day rate is an all in, fund your travel/accom
              If it's YourLtd > Agency > Consultancy > ClientCo then it's possible for you to get something from the gig for expenses if the consultancy has an agreed expenses arrangement with ClientCo.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Chain is Your Limited Company > Agency > Client? > You , No Umbrella
                So you incur expenses, you claim them back from your limited company. If they are agreed with the client, then your limited company adds the expenses to the invoice, adds VAT to that invoice line, and the agency pays it. Agency then invoices the client for the work and expenses.

This assumes that this is prior to April 2016. After April 2016, if the role is inside IR35 then you don't claim travel and subsistence from your company (or if you do, you declare it on your P11D as a benefit in kind).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What makes you think your Ltd company will be able to invoice for expenses incurred? Did the agency say so? Did the end client say so?

If you just assumed, then you assumed wrong.

You [personally] can of course claim valid expenses from your Ltd company.

Out of interest, how much are you looking at per day in T&S?

Comment

I was expecting to claim back from the LTD, which is the norm anyway
                    What is "the LTD" in this context? Your Limited Company that employs your personally, or the agency, or the end client?

Comment

Eh? that is 3 months.....
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X