• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for UK company whilst overseas..advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    I am at a loss to understand why you want to undertake this business via a UK company ? Is there an agency in the loop ? If not then the simpleset thing would be to start a Greek Company and run everything from Greece, then you will entirely fall within Greek law.

I say "the simplest thing" because there is another alternative which is not legal but is equally simple and that is to start a UK Co. and just not tell the Greek authorities anything about it. You may end up in gaol if you do that but you will have the satisfaction of only paying UK taxes (lowest in Europe) up to the point they catch you.

Hth,

Boo
    Hi Boo, thanks that is indeed helpful. There is no agency in the loop, this is purely a tax matter and also trying to avoid all the damn capital controls that are in place at the moment. It also simplifies things for my employer paying me in GBP. As I mentioned, I'm doing this for family reasons, so I'm trying to avoid the additional headache and I'd rather stay on the right side of either tax enforcement agency..

From what I've read on the HMRC website, there's also the option of remaining on their PAYE scheme, but I'm not at all clear on how this is worked out.

Comment

If you do the work in Greece working from home, then all your income is taxed in Greece. There is no UK tax to pay.

If you commute to the UK then your salary and corporate tax will be taxed in the UK, dividends are somewhat more complicated.

A UK Ltd can be taxed anywhere you do business, so you can use your UK Ltd but you need to register for tax wherever you do business.

i.e. if you work from Greece through your UK Ltd company, which you can do, you need establish a "branch" which you register with the Greek tax authorities. In the UK you then will have no tax to pay.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If you do the work in Greece working from home, then all your income is taxed in Greece. There is no UK tax to pay.

If you commute to the UK then your salary and corporate tax will be taxed in the UK, dividends are somewhat more complicated.

A UK Ltd can be taxed anywhere you do business, so you can use your UK Ltd but you need to register for tax wherever you do business.

i.e. if you work from Greece through your UK Ltd company, which you can do, you need establish a "branch" which you register with the Greek tax authorities. In the UK you then will have no tax to pay.
        Thank you. How does that align with the treaty for the avoidance of dual-taxation though? I.e. If I pay *all* (corporation,dividend,salary) taxes in the UK, by virtue of the treaty for dual taxation, don't I only need to pay the difference in Greece, if at all ? (see my previous post for an example)

Comment

Originally posted by jander View Post
          Thank you. How does that align with the treaty for the avoidance of dual-taxation though? I.e. If I pay *all* (corporation,dividend,salary) taxes in the UK, by virtue of the treaty for dual taxation, don't I only need to pay the difference in Greece, if at all ? (see my previous post for an example)
          If you pay tax in the UK then they will credit this to tax liable in Greece. Sometimes the Double Taxation Treaty stipulates you only pay tax in one country.

Will you be working in Greece or commuting to the UK ? This is vital information in determining whether you pay tax in the UK. Running your business through a UK Ltd doesn't mean you pay tax in the UK. The UK Ltd is very popular in Europe. Many German businesses are run via UK Ltd companies, but they pay no UK tax just German tax.

If you work in Greece there is no UK tax to pay. If you pay UK tax when it's not due the Greek authorities will not credit the tax, they will just expect you to claim it back from the UK authorities.

It's not whether you're working for a UK company that counts, what is important is where you are "physically" when you do the work.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 January 2016, 15:16.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you pay tax in the UK then they will credit this to tax liable in Greece. Sometimes the Double Taxation Treaty stipulates you only pay tax in one country.

Will you be working in Greece or commuting to the UK ? This is vital information in determining whether you pay tax in the UK. Running your business through a UK Ltd doesn't mean you pay tax in the UK. The UK Ltd is very popular in Europe. Many German businesses are run via UK Ltd companies, but they pay no UK tax just German tax.

If you work in Greece there is no UK tax to pay. If you pay UK tax when it's not due the Greek authorities will not credit the tax, they will just expect you to claim it back from the UK authorities.

It's not whether you're working for a UK company that counts, what is important is where you are "physically" when you do the work.
            Working in Greece, and once per quarter spending some time "on-site" in the UK for about a week.

Comment

Working in Greece, and once per quarter spending some time "on-site" in the UK for about a week.
              Since you will be working in Greece with occasional visits this is taxable in Greece and not the UK.

You will need to run this through a Greek company, which can be UK Ltd but set up as a Greek company.

If you do pay tax in the UK, the Greek tax authorities can ignore it, because it's not UK taxable income.

You need advice from a Greek accountant.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Since you will be working in Greece with occasional visits this is taxable in Greece and not the UK.

You will need to run this through a Greek company, which can be UK Ltd but set up as a Greek company.

If you do pay tax in the UK, the Greek tax authorities can ignore it, because it's not UK taxable income.

You need advice from a Greek accountant.
                Thank you, I'm in the process of trying to find someone competent enough in the particular area. So, if I understand this correctly, if I where to form a UK Ltd and with what's been said here, I wouldn't be paying any tax whatsoever in the UK?

Comment

Thank you, I'm in the process of trying to find someone competent enough in the particular area. So, if I understand this correctly, if I where to form a UK Ltd and with what's been said here, I wouldn't be paying any tax whatsoever in the UK?
                  Correct.

You're only going on business trips to the UK. 5 days a quarter would be perfectly acceptable.

I would talk it through with a Greek accountant.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Correct.

You're only going on business trips to the UK. 5 days a quarter would be perfectly acceptable.

I would talk it through with a Greek accountant.
                    Thanks again. I have started discussing it already with one

As it turns out, there is the reciprocal tax agreement in force. I would be liable for tax in Greece, but it would be offset against the tax I've paid in the UK. If I paid more in the UK than what I'm liable for in GR, then tax in Greece would effectively be nil.

Comment

Thanks again. I have started discussing it already with one

As it turns out, there is the reciprocal tax agreement in force. I would be liable for tax in Greece, but it would be offset against the tax I've paid in the UK. If I paid more in the UK than what I'm liable for in GR, then tax in Greece would effectively be nil.
                      If you submit a P&L to HMRC they'll simply charge tax, that will mean the Greeks will get no tax or virtually no tax.Now if you live in Greece and pay no tax eventually some Greek tax investigator will start to do enquiries. The same thing would happen in the UK, you pay little or no tax they start to investigate. Now the first thing they'll request is proof you spent most of your time in the UK. If you can't prove you were in the UK then they might charge you full tax and ignore what you paid in the UK. They would argue that you shouldn't have paid tax in the UK tax in the first place, because you were working in Greece.

Just make sure you only pay UK tax your liable for and check this through with a UK accountant, particularly if this arrangement is a long term one.

Don't simply assume as long as you have a UK tax return this will simply be accepted by the Greek authorities. Not necessarily.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X