• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for a charity

Evening all.

I'm back with another question! - I'm going to the accountant in the morning to ask the same but wondered if anyone on here had experience of similar.

I have been doing bits and pieces of development for a local charity probably about 10 hours this month, I'm not billing them, I just had some spare time and they needed some work done.
    Basically, I've made them a web site that should have cost £500, I'm giving it to them for free (including hosting), I know I can donate money and get tax relief - how does it work if Im donating a product/service?

I've had a look online and all I could see was info about donating money or seconding employees nothing about this.

The above would be called volunteering and therefore no tax relief is available for giving your time to either your company or on your personal tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
      The above would be called volunteering and therefore no tax relief is available for giving your time to either your company or on your personal tax return.
      Thought that might be the case, just wondered as there is a product that Im donating (the site) and it is costing myCo some money (Hosting). If it was a tangible product that I was donating there would be relief wouldn't there?

Bit more of a dig...
      HMRC :
      "Giving trading stock - If your company donates its trading stock to a charity or CASC, you don’t have to include anything in your sales income for the value of the gift. This means you get tax relief on the cost of the stock you’ve given away"

Thats a bit of a fain in the bum, technically its not cost me anything to produce the site - I can probably do something about the hosting but its a few £ a month so not worth it.

Doesn't matter anyway - I wasn't doing it for my benefit - just though I may be able to get something out of it too!
      Last edited by Snarf; 21 December 2015, 21:52.

Comment

If you have a physical cost incurred you can claim relief for this expense. You just cannot charge or make a claim for your time.

Comment

Working...
        X