• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quarterly tax returns for SME's?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarterly tax returns for SME's?

Jesus wept. Apparently hidden in the depths of osborne's Autumn Statement and only just coming to light, is a proposal to introduce quarterly tax returns for all self employed, small, medium businesses etc by 2020.

Bring 'us' into line with big corps apparently. Hopefully I'll be back in retirement by then!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I read it in the sun this morning at the local cafe. As if there is not enough red tape burden already. Another way in which the government favours big business.

I hope the sun will launch a campaign against the government. Its the only way they will listen. And may the Lord not punish me too harshly for saying those words.....

Comment

Hardly buried, digital accounts were one of the centerpieces of the AS. It will apply to individuals and landlords (with secondary incomes of more than 10k) as well as SMEs. They'll have to consult on the details. I can't imagine them getting away with anything too onerous.... famous last words.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Jesus wept. Apparently hidden in the depths of osborne's Autumn Statement and only just coming to light, is a proposal to introduce quarterly tax returns for all self employed, small, medium businesses etc by 2020.

Bring 'us' into line with big corps apparently. Hopefully I'll be back in retirement by then!
        All very easy to do with our nice new digital accounts - assuming they can get the software to work.

Soon won't need accountants as all the account details can be entered directly on-line at your friendly HMRC website.

Comment

I read that today in the Times.

Was very unimpressed as the system would not be able to cope.

I wish we had government ministers who actually had worked for a f***ing living as they wouldn't be suggesting this.

It will not only cause a headache for SMEs but for HMRC - you have one quarter of work but then have 2 quarters of no work however you have tax deductible expenses so will have to claim it all back....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

£400 a month accountancy fees anyone? Let me guess, it'll be both 'simpler' and 'fairer'

Comment

Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
              All very easy to do with our nice new digital accounts - assuming they can get the software to work.

Soon won't need accountants as all the account details can be entered directly on-line at your friendly HMRC website.
              When they got the self-assessment forms, not even the computer system, to work HMRC were so proud of themselves....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It will not only cause a headache for SMEs but for HMRC - you have one quarter of work but then have 2 quarters of no work however you have tax deductible expenses so will have to claim it all back....
                Payments to HMRC quarterly; refunds will probably be claimable annually (in arrears)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Hardly buried, digital accounts were one of the centerpieces of the AS. It will apply to individuals and landlords (with secondary incomes of more than 10k) as well as SMEs. They'll have to consult on the details. I can't imagine them getting away with anything too onerous.... famous last words.
                  The thing the government doesn't realise is that SMEs, freelancers and landlords aren't guaranteed to have continuous income at the same level.

Comment

Working...
                  X