• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPR database and its contents

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if a company accesses their data which is stored on my database structure which 'on site' - do they need permission through licensing to do so?

They are connecting directly to the data and running a reporting software on it.

I had no idea until they informed me it had errors and asked 'how it works'. - is this seen as 'reverse engineering'?

The intended use of the database structure is through a provided web interface.

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    if a company accesses their data which is stored on my database structure which 'on site' - do they need permission through licensing to do so?

They are connecting directly to the data and running a reporting software on it.

I had no idea until they informed me it had errors and asked 'how it works'. - is this seen as 'reverse engineering'?

The intended use of the database structure is through a provided web interface.
    When you say "your database", what do you mean?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      When you say "your database", what do you mean?
      "my database structure" - structure of the database that defines the objects in the database

Comment

No, still more data needed. Are you onsite as a contractor? Is the d/b on their server and is it just a noddy thing that you expected that only you would use?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Also who owns the data, you or the client?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Any reporting software used should be licensed.

Apart from that more info needed, do you consider this your intellectual property?
            If so, what does your contract say?
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

"my database structure" - structure of the database that defines the objects in the database
              As in one that you created onsite or one that you brought in from your registered company office and they've hijacked?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I am the vendor - it is not work made of hire.

web interface to a database - they own the content - it is deployed 'on site' (a data center).

Comment

web interface to a database - they own the content - it is deployed 'on site' (a data center).
                  It depends on what your contractual terms with them are then.

If you've created your own database model and they are using it, have you made it clear to them in advance what you expect to be paid for it?

Comment

What does the contract say that you have with them, with regards to accessing the database?
                    Usually you would sort this sort of thing out at the outset.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X