• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re-registering for VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-registering for VAT

Although I never closed my company down when I took a permanent job, I deregistered from VAT (and PAYE) nearly 4 years ago. I need to get registered again (and rejoin the FRS).

Logging onto online.hmrc.gov.uk it still shows my VAT account with the old number, but the certifcate shows de-registered. What I don't know, and can't find out is if I need to reactivate my old VAT number, or if I need to reapply and get a new number, and how I would go about it. There's no obvious way I can see in the online system of doing either.

Before I spend half the day trying to phone them up, does anyone know the answer?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

It was a few years since I re-registered (same scenario - took a permanent job, kept the company, and after a few years came back to the dark side).
    I think I called the number for the VAT office on the letter I received from de-registration, and they re-registered my company.
    I beleive that you can do it online now :

https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/how-to-register

My company received a new VAT number when re-registering.

Comment

Thanks. Predictably the online registration doesn't let me register as it think I'm already registered.

Comment

I'm not aware of any way of reviving the old VAT registration. Just do it as a completely new VAT registration.

Only side thing I would say is if you're a FreeAgent user and have been all this time, unfortunately the software makes it nice and easy for you to register, then de-register...but if you later re-register, it can't deal with it. Had this a couple of times now where someone had planned to close down the company, got part way there (inc de-registering for VAT) then plans changed. Only way to deal with it on FreeAgent was to get a new FreeAgent account Thankfully a fairly rare occurrence.

Comment

Why not start a new company?

For a start, it will remove any IR35 issues...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Why not start a new company?

For a start, it will remove any IR35 issues...
            There is that. I have about £40 left in the company account. Is it going to be worth me shutting it down to claim entrepreneurs' relief?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              There is that. I have about £40 left in the company account. Is it going to be worth me shutting it down to claim entrepreneurs' relief?
              no, because that process costs ~£1000 I think

Comment

Working...
              X