• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Say No to Dividend Tax - Parliamentary Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see it as a loophole being closed. Ultimately, instead of 20% personal income tax, we have paid 20% corporation tax. From April 2016, we'll be paying 20% corporation tax, and then 7.5% dividend tax on the remaining 80% once we bring it into our personal space.

It's still better than paying NI, but we'll be paying more tax on earnings than employees will, potentially coupled with not getting tax relief on T&A.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Erm, I think people have the right to get a bit narked when they get hit with a 2k tax bill out of the blue.....

And it's not just this, its the T&S and IR35 issues (and possibly the BTL'ers). Some people are going to be quite understandably upset.
      And most of the upset ones voted tory 'coz they is the party of biznizz, innit' *******.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        I don't see it as a loophole being closed. Ultimately, instead of 20% personal income tax, we have paid 20% corporation tax. From April 2016, we'll be paying 20% corporation tax, and then 7.5% dividend tax on the remaining 80% once we bring it into our personal space.

It's still better than paying NI, but we'll be paying more tax on earnings than employees will, potentially coupled with not getting tax relief on T&A.
        If you are a high earner, you would still be better off going through your own limited company even after the new rules kick in. It won't be as lucrative, true, however the benefit is still there.

Comment

How much does this dividend tax get cancelled out by the new corporation tax levels?

Out of the three battles we've been presented with, this one is the one I'd happily lose if we could only win two.

The T&S attempted has failed previously I believe.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            How much does this dividend tax get cancelled out by the new corporation tax levels?
            Depending on how cynical you might be, not at all. There's nothing special about 7.5%, and I'd expect it to increase in line with the CT reductions (if not more).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Depending on how cynical you might be, not at all. There's nothing special about 7.5%, and I'd expect it to increase in line with the CT reductions (if not more).
              As it effects anyone who has over 5K of dividends I suspect if any government increases too much big business bosses will be complaining.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                I don't give a toss about the blue rinse brigade and their shareholdings, I'm talking purely from a contracting point of view - increased dividend tax versus lower corporation tax is giving with one hand and taking away with the other. We're not much worse off with the combination of the two. There are bigger fights to fight and more people who will care about the others, especially if we're pointing out how the big corps like Accenture and nasty-offshore-stealing-our-job-types like Wipro stand to benefit from the IR35/T&S tulip we're up against.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't give a toss about the blue rinse brigade and their shareholdings, I'm talking purely from a contracting point of view - increased dividend tax versus lower corporation tax is giving with one hand and taking away with the other. We're not much worse off with the combination of the two. There are bigger fights to fight and more people who will care about the others, especially if we're pointing out how the big corps like Accenture and nasty-offshore-stealing-our-job-types like Wipro stand to benefit from the IR35/T&S tulip we're up against.
                  Actually you should as governments like to divide and conquer (add to the tax code)

However like you at the moment my priorities are T&S and IR35.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I entirely agree with your priorities, but you asked a specific question, and I offered an answer. There's no reason to believe that the dividend tax will stay at 7.5% when the CT rates come down, so any perceived trade-off between the dividend tax and CT (one of which refers to 2020) could be completely moot.

Comment

Signed it.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X