• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Cater Allen changed the way to send one-time payments with a reference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    but your stupidity is a good fix for the situation now! thanks!
    My Stupidity?

Comment

Cater Allen sound rubbish. Why do people recommend them? No instant transfers, no mobile app, this... is their rep based on backhanders and commission?
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

i definitely would not recommend them - i got pushed towards them from my (now ex-)accountant

they're very oldschool, thick letterheaded paper and posh looking folders but definitely behind the mainstream regarding online/mobile etc

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
          My Stupidity?

stupidity was harsh - happy to change it to "solution"

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Cater Allen sound rubbish. Why do people recommend them? No instant transfers, no mobile app, this... is their rep based on backhanders and commission?
            I agree with the faults you mention, but their customer service is good. Reasonably intelligent people who answer the phone promptly.

Also I think one thing that appeals is that they're one of a few banks who still have a "free forever" account (within certain limits). Some people just really resent paying ~£5/month to their bank.

Comment

stupidity was harsh - happy to change it to "solution"

I was pointing out that my solution avoided the need for typing Salary, Dividend and Expenses 12 times a year...

Cater Allen works fine for me, It's free and I usually set up transfers a week ahead of time anyway, and and am never in a rush to move money. It's probably a long way off being the best but it's 100% fit for purpose for me.

My only conscious decision when choosing a business bank account was that I didn't want it the same as my personal bank

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
                I was pointing out that my solution avoided the need for typing Salary, Dividend and Expenses 12 times a year...
                if "salary" "dividend" and "expenses" are the only descriptions you ever use then yeah it's perfect

Comment

i definitely would not recommend them - i got pushed towards them from my (now ex-)accountant

they're very oldschool, thick letterheaded paper and posh looking folders but definitely behind the mainstream regarding online/mobile etc
                  European banking regulations, which are now law, mean that bank transfers must take a maximum of one working day.

The problem for them and some other smaller building societies/ banks is that they don't actually run their own payment system so piggy back on to one that does. This makes the payment process slower.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    I agree with the faults you mention, but their customer service is good. Reasonably intelligent people who answer the phone promptly.
                    Exactly what I'd say. I've just spoken to Cater Allen today and yesterday and the difference between them and my Santander personal account is huge. Straight through to someone on both occasions and problem sorted. Of course that is just what you should expect, but it is so rare nowadays.

Website is a bit clunky, but it does the job.

Comment

this is not fun

Just asked them about this. Basically, the reference field is the payee reference. And you have no access to the statement reference. This is good for HMRC and credit cards, but otherwise is a pain. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                      X