• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any OIL AND GAS contractors want to comment on IR35 review from thst perspective?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any OIL AND GAS contractors want to comment on IR35 review from thst perspective?

Given recent rate cuts and other horrors due to oil price rout, how do you think the IR35 review might affect our industry? How do you think the potential for the end client to have to get involved in deeming our contracts inside or outside will go down?

We really don't need any more woes for now.....

You are a bit confused here talking about this being a future problem.

In 2007 I was working in a French Major Oil Company in Aberdeen, one of the Contract Administrators was a Ltd Company guy. He was being investigated by the revenue about whethere he was inside or outside of IR35.

After the revenue interviewed him, he advised to the revenue that he was working at that oil company.

The revenue requested and were granted an interview with the staffy project manager that he reported to and in the interview one of the companie's legal guys was there as was a rep from HR.

The project manager was asked and answered questions about how the contract administrator worked by the revenue team.

At that point he got a job overseas to get out of the revenues sights.

We therefore never heard the end of the story.

So it was happening 8 years ago.

If you can stay employed until mid 2017 and if the Oil prices stays around $60 to $70 the maintence and inspection work togther with the well workovers and smaller capital projects that have been cancelled will required to be done all at once and we will be into a staff shortage again.

Lots of people have gone overseas or are working outwith the oil industry and I reckon they will not be too keen to come back to Aberdeen.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMrs View Post
      Given recent rate cuts and other horrors due to oil price rout, how do you think the IR35 review might affect our industry? How do you think the potential for the end client to have to get involved in deeming our contracts inside or outside will go down?

We really don't need any more woes for now.....
      I think the biggest problem o&g people face right now is staying in work. If you can manage that, you're winning.

As for IR35, it's been a threat for a long time and will continue to be for a long time to come by the sounds. My advice is to do your best to get a good IR35 friendly contract and to get some QDOS insurance... then sleep like a log.

Comment

Working...
      X