• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the dreaded D word....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Couple of kids, she doesnt work
    And has her own job anyway.
    Make your mind up - does she work or not?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Good spot! Is this just another ms sockie?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I bet what she spends is far less than a divorce!

I hope you both manage to get through things okay.

As NLUK says, best to think before you post. You don't want to go the way of Nigel Short or Tim Hunt do you?
        Brillo is nice person shocker ;-)

True enough which is why I have no intention of getting divorced.

On a serious note, last few years we've both found out first hand how things change when one of you is too ill to work. It certainly causes issues and effects things as a contractor and in your relationship.

When you're working last thing you need is your partner laying it on you or you worrying if they're coping. And yes, shes got 25 years of the me doing the same, but she wasn't ill then so its hard for her when I say sorry Im stuck in work. I understand its hard for her to focus on the big picture that this is income when shes struggling to cope at home with a toddler so its understandable.

Current client is a fair trek every day so I'm home late normal days which can be problematic. BUT not as impossible as being away mon-fri would be. Also, when one of you suddenly has no income even if its only a couple £K a month (as will be the case soon with the mrs) it restricts your options of not taking an extension (unless you have huge warchest)

E.g. In my case, current gig is decent enough apart from the travel and we're just about managing. BUT, would love something closer or with some WFH. At the moment though probably can't risk not accepting an extension, being on the bench with zero income between both of us and then end up working away mon-fri (which would probably not work at all).

See PC can be serious after all :-)
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Shes been on long term sick for some time now. Officially, at the moment, she is employed but that is likely to be terminated due to ill health very shortly.

Comment

Brillo is nice person shocker ;-)
            Only for a fellow Welshie! I am still nasty to the English....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Only for a fellow Welshie! I am still nasty to the English....
              Cymru am byth!

Ha ha. I do an international commute every day so used to them! At least once a day I get asked if I shag sheep!

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                >>well.... nothing

running the home can be a full time job. It will be interesting to see how that pans out for both of you:

You realising the ironing fairies dont exist and her getting off her a$$/justifying that she is your ironing fairy 'accustomed to a lifestyle' you provided and will expect to continue to do.
                Have you asked her about getting a job/stopping paying for the creche?
                Not that it helps, but I've never really got that point. If she's claiming she's accustomed to a certain lifestyle that he needs to maintain, shouldn't he be able to demand BJs and sandwhiches in perpetuum too?

With regards to maintaining the home though, honestly it can prohibit a full time job. However, you can also get help for £10 an hour; if you're relying on their spouce to do that stuff, you should probably consider getting help and setting her free to do something she'd prefer to be doing.

Sadly, this is no help to the OP, good luck bud.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                  Not that it helps, but I've never really got that point. If she's claiming she's accustomed to a certain lifestyle that he needs to maintain, shouldn't he be able to demand BJs and sandwhiches in perpetuum too?
                  And that what prostitutes and sandwich bars are for?

Comment

Working...
                  X