• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant filed £0 national insurance for last month says it wont affect record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant filed £0 national insurance for last month says it wont affect record

Hi,
    Long time lurker but i'm not sure if i'm being fobbed off.

I use a well known online account. At the start of the year it was all set up with my salary as 8060 split over 12 months (£671). But today i've noticed it says "there is no director salary configured for this account, your account manager or one of our accountants should have discussed it with you. Otherwise please contact us". They have submitted £0 for April 2015 already.

They have done something after i emailed them as now my account is back to £8060 but my account manager says i should just pay more over 11 months. Doesn't this means i wont get the lower earnings limit NI contributions for April? I asked them to change last months and update hmrc but they are basically saying it doesnt matter if you don't earn over the lol for a month.

Are they right?

Cheers for any help
    Socrates

Assuming you're a director, it shouldn't matter, and potentially you could just pay £1,342 for May (being 2 x £671) to compensate for £nil in April, then £671/month from June onwards. Alternatively as they've suggested, £732/month for the 11 months.

If you're not a director it's not so easy.

Comment

Thanks that's great, i did try searching honestly! Yes i am a director of a ltd co.

I'm just super cautious as before when i worked permanent jobs hmrc excluded several years where i had paid tons of NI for 45 odd weeks of the year then being ineligible for benefits i had gaps which meant they scrubbed the whole year.

Thanks
      Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Assuming you're a director, it shouldn't matter, and potentially you could just pay £1,342 for May (being 2 x £671) to compensate for £nil in April, then £671/month from June onwards. Alternatively as they've suggested, £732/month for the 11 months.

If you're not a director it's not so easy.
        This is quite correct, reason being that the NI limits are applied cumulatively for directors, but not employees.

Comment

Working...
        X