• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new agent saying my umbrella company is not on their list of approved solutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have the "right" to agree or refuse to work with whoever they like, just as you have the "right" to take the contract via one of their approved companys or not take it at all.

Saying that, if they really want your services, I've found that most places will bend their rules

Be careful though, if you say "do it my way or I walk" they're fully in their rights to say "ok, bye bye"

Comment

Agency PSLs

Most agencies do have preferred supplier lists of umbrella companies that they tend to recommend. The main reason for this is due diligence to ensure that they do not have workers using offshore and non-compliant providers. And yes, there may also be commercial arrangements in place between the agency and the umbrella providers.

In truth, whilst the agency does have a right to insist on only working with certain providers (after all it is a B2B relationship), most will allow you to stay with your current umbrella if you insist (and they can satisfy themselves that the company is legit). There are a couple of exceptions to the rule such as Hays who will only allow you to use one of their approved providers if you want to take a role though them.

Comment

Originally posted by bradhilt View Post
        So they have no right to dictate other than to gain comission kick backs ?
        They have every right to dictate who they do business with. In the same way that you can choose who you work for, or (if you were operating via a limited company) who you contract with.

If they don't want to deal with a company, then they won't deal with them. It's what being a business involves.

Originally posted by bradhilt View Post
        I am looking to go ltd when i land a contract that is viable for me to do so. Working as an employee under an umbrella means i can cover myself through jobseekers during times of unemploymemt as im a single parent so need this safety net to keep the roof over our heads.
        If you leave your employment voluntarily, does that not impact your ability to claim jobseekers allowance? Also, if you leave the employment and have only had one engagement through the umbrella company, bear in mind the impact this will have on the travel and subsistence expenses you may have claimed for a journey to your permanent place of work.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X