• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Evasion/ Avoidance Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'm curious to know how your, um, "friend" managed to avoid paying the full stamp duty when property transactions are usually handled by a solicitor.
    For purchases involving a mortgage, the mortgage company will insist on the solicitor paying stamp duty, so the buyer has to pay the solicitor prior to completion before the mortgage company will release the funds.

For cash purchases, you can opt to file/pay yourself within the time limit (28 days after completion I think).

Comment

I thought "they" could only look back 7 years. Forget it is my advice

Comment

I'd love to see the interest on that one
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can he confess to HMRC = YES
          Will that result in a tax/interest/penalty = PROBABLY
          Will that debar him from directorships or harm his credit standing = NO (it is a private matter between him and HMRC and is not public knowledge).
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Let sleeping dogs lie and plead ignorance if hmrc did uncover anything. After 8 years id be very surprised if theydid start digging.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              My guess would be a reduced purchase price with an (artificially) inflated charge for fixings and fittings.
              Yes. That's the usual one but please share the others just in case some of us could not be bothered with traditional sleep!

Comment

Working...
              X