• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividends

Hi All

I haven't traded for a year but need to withdraw the funds from my business accounts, how do I find out how much tax I would need to pay if I withdrew part or all of the funds?

Thanks

Originally posted by Bobo View Post
    Hi All

I haven't traded for a year but need to withdraw the funds from my business accounts, how do I find out how much tax I would need to pay if I withdrew part or all of the funds?

Thanks
    Can you elaborate?

Comment

Have you had other income this year eg salary?

Comment

If you want to close the company down you could take ER and pay 10% after deduction of your CGT exemption. If it's more than £25k you'll also need to pay liquidators' fees.

If you want to keep the company alive, then it'll cost you 25% on top of a dividend. Assuming you're a 40% taxpayer.

That's very simplified and you'd be better advised to get professional advice.

Comment

If you haven't traded for a year, and the money is retained from a previous year's trade, then corporation tax should have already been paid on it, and the money is retained profit.
          Therefore the company could theoretically pay a dividend using the retained profit and the company would have no further tax to pay.
          However you may have tax to pay, if taking a dividend causes your personal income to exceed the 40% threshold.

Comment

https://www.nixonwilliams.com/dividend_calculator.asp

Comment

Have you asked your accountant?
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
              X