• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rental Income and PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    Simon, is the £4,000 you are referring to the rent a room allowance of £4,250 per annum? If so you can't deduct expenses from the rent for this and it has to be generated from renting a room in your personal residence rather than a typical rental property. If it's a typical rental property there isn't a 'standard allowance' you can earn before paying tax, other than where it is covered by the normal personal allowance.

Hope this helps

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    If I rent my old house out, can I deduct expenses for interest, maintenance, insurance etc. from the income I earn from that?

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
      If I rent my old house out, can I deduct expenses for interest, maintenance, insurance etc. from the income I earn from that?
      Hi BillHicksRIP

I assume the old house is no longer your main residence and as such is just a normal property let. In this case you can deduct the usual expenses from the rent received - mortgage interest, maintenance, insurance, 10% wear & tear allowance if fully furnished, repairs etc.

Just as a side point too as it may be relevant to the thread, you don't have to use the rent a room allowance when renting out a room in your main residence, you can elect to treat it like a normal rental as in some cases this can be more tax efficient.

Martin
      Contratax Ltd

Comment

Thanks very much Martin.

Comment

Working...
        X