• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co, umbrella, PAYE, Sole trader.... Whats the correct course?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Just to clarify - you will only be significantly financially better off through a Ltd Co if you are outside IR35
    Even in the unlikely event the OP is caught by IR35, an (IR35 caught) IT contractor earning £2,000 a week could earn close to £4,000 in additional turnover for being on the flat rate scheme in their first year.

They could also take roughly £5,000 as a dividend paying an effective rate of tax or 22.5% that would otherwise be subject to income tax at 40%, employees NI at 2% and employers NI 13.8% if paid through an Umbrella.

There is also the risk of the contractors income being handled by a third party of course, which we all know has left contractors out of pocket in the past.

We don't know the OP's circumstances of course but the above are significant enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Broadly speaking, yes, but it depends on the contracts being outside IR35 and on a "reasonable" turnover. IMHO it doesn't make much sense to run a company w/ a turnover less than 30-40k
      Why would you consider this in the OP's circumstances? The contract is one on a 6 months rolling basis. Aside from the occasional 2/3 month contract I am yet to see a contractor with turnover that low.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
        Why would you consider this in the OP's circumstances? The contract is one on a 6 months rolling basis. Aside from the occasional 2/3 month contract I am yet to see a contractor with turnover that low.

The turnover is about right for the 6 month contract

Comment

Perhaps because the OP didn't state their circumstances and explicitly mentioned the "easiest, stress free route."

Comment

Originally posted by Worcsman View Post
            The turnover is about right for the 6 month contract
            In that case you should consider the likelihood of the contract being extended and decide from there.

Incidentally, I would set the general benchmark for going with a limited company to lower than £30k-£40k, but it depends on your circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Perhaps because the OP didn't state their circumstances and explicitly mentioned the "easiest, stress free route."

I did say that. Am now looking at other things as well as easy and stress free. Specifically Ltd co with trust fund. Anyone have experience of these?
              Last edited by Worcsman; 30 October 2014, 14:36.

Comment

In that case you should consider the likelihood of the contract being extended and decide from there.

Incidentally, I would set the general benchmark for going with a limited company to lower than £30k-£40k, but it depends on your circumstances.
                Thanks. The contract will be extended. It has in the past, it will be my fourth stint there in 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Worcsman View Post
                  I did say that. Am now looking at other thing as well as easy and tress free. Specifically Ltd co with trust fund. Anyone have experience of these?
                  Ah, makes sense now, you've heard* you can get 95% of your billable or whatever.

Just the title of this forum should be enough to steer you off that path.

*where "heard" = a salesman told you.

Comment

There is also the risk of the contractors income being handled by a third party of course, which we all know has left contractors out of pocket in the past.
                    As have dodgy accountants. Having another link in the chain creates an additional risk, but it's manageable if you opt for a reputable umbrella, and the greatest risk remains from clients failing to pay. The OP clearly stated their desire for the "easiest, stress free route." There are plenty of people, even those with accountants, that start companies and really don't have a clue about what they're doing because they don't have the time or inclination to understand the rules. A Ltd is appropriate for many people, but I wouldn't necessarily describe it as the easiest, most stress free route if you're doing it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      Ah, makes sense now, you've heard* you can get 95% of your billable or whatever.

Just the title of this forum should be enough to steer you off that path.

*where "heard" = a salesman told you.
                      Hey well thats why Im asking, the umbrella Ive used for years used to push EBTs, I never got involved, sounded bad from the off. But Ive just received an illustration of the Ltd co with trust and 80% retention including accountants fees, invoicing etc. Yes sounds suss! Googled and cant find much on this. I'm told they have been running this for 25 years and never had anyone found to be in breach of HMRC rules. Yes the guy is a salesman, yes I am a cash cow have been for more than 2 decades but never used ltd co plus trust. Is retaining an additional 10% over the 70ish% a normal ltd company would offer worth it? No idea the level of risk. If someone else does, i would be pleased to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                      X