• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offsite business meetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacontracting View Post
    Yes, you're probably right.

So to summarise the breadth of knowledge:

'Just MHO but there is more chance of being hit by low flying pork than HMRC accepting this as an expense'
    'Thoughts? Well, what a load of bollocks really.'
    'So if you add pumping the wife on a dirty weekend as part of her job description its tax deductible ?'
    'So if you add pumping the company secretary on a dirty weekend as part of her job description its tax deductible ?'

'A typical Saturday morning at Mr & Mrs Pacontracting's house.

pac "Good morning dear. Would you like a coffee?"
    Mrs pac "Yes, dear. Thanks"
    pac "It's a lovely day. We should go for a walk"
    Mrs pac "You've got a letter from HMRC"
    pac "DON'T OPEN IT IN THE HOUSE!"
    Mrs pac "Why not?"
    pac "I choose to keep my company business and private life separate. Cancel the walk. We'd better book a hotel in (town 50 miles away) so I can read it".
    'Hell, I can't even think about doing anything business related if I'm not sharing a hot tub in Las Vegas with a few strippers '
    You're just waiting for others to agree with you that its ok to do what you do (take missus away for a romantic bang and claim it on the business under the guise of a business strategy meeting).

The rest of the advice, particularly from the professionals - thanks.
    To be fair, you are asking for views on you taking the p out of the system. Expect to have the p taken out of you as a result. The longer you have been a contractor, the more p will be extracted. If you don't like stupid answers, don't ask stupid questions.

As has been pointed out, it matters not what the internet thingy says about this, MTFU and call HMRC on Monday and ask them what they think. My advice? Assume the position before you call. It will give you time to get comfortable for the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
    X