• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in EU through UK Company (for a non-EU citizen)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in EU through UK Company (for a non-EU citizen)

Hi,

Bit of a specific question here - I've searched and couldn't find any previous posts, so hopefully someone can help.

I am a UK ILR resident (non-EU), fully entitled to work in the UK. There is a possibility that a contract I get will require part of it's work to be completed in the EU (e.g. Bulgaria or Hungary). The company is 100% a UK entity and I will be contracted to them. All payments, admin, legal, etc will be done through this company in the UK.

Is this ok? Essentially, I will be working for a UK company, however part of the work needs to be performed in an EU country.

Thanks!

You'll need a work permit for Bulgaria and Hungary.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      You'll need a work permit for Bulgaria and Hungary.
      Wouldn't he qualify under some sort of ICT scheme if he was essential to the project?

Big Blue? They offshore a lot to these countries.

Comment

Originally posted by web View Post
        Hi,

Bit of a specific question here - I've searched and couldn't find any previous posts, so hopefully someone can help.

I am a UK ILR resident (non-EU), fully entitled to work in the UK. There is a possibility that a contract I get will require part of it's work to be completed in the EU (e.g. Bulgaria or Hungary). The company is 100% a UK entity and I will be contracted to them. All payments, admin, legal, etc will be done through this company in the UK.

Is this ok? Essentially, I will be working for a UK company, however part of the work needs to be performed in an EU country.

Thanks!
        Yes, providing you pay all the taxes and national insurance/social security that you are legally obliged to pay in the relevant EU states. If you are a non-EU then you may need visas/work permits for other EU states. It isn't a simple question to answer, and from experience even the so called experts have differing opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
          Yes, providing you pay all the taxes and national insurance/social security that you are legally obliged to pay in the relevant EU states. If you are a non-EU then you may need visas/work permits for other EU states. It isn't a simple question to answer, and from experience even the so called experts have differing opinions.
          Ok, thanks for your responses, it's really appreciated. Sounds like a grey area as the actual work will be produced and eventually reside in the UK, just one portion of it needs to be done there. From the research I've done, things seem to agree the assumption that it is ok as long as I pay relevenat taxes, etc. But again, I've read things which contradict this. If anyone else has experience with this, please let us know.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by web View Post
            Ok, thanks for your responses, it's really appreciated. Sounds like a grey area as the actual work will be produced and eventually reside in the UK, just one portion of it needs to be done there. From the research I've done, things seem to agree the assumption that it is ok as long as I pay relevenat taxes, etc. But again, I've read things which contradict this. If anyone else has experience with this, please let us know.

Thanks!
            No, you will need visas/Work permits for working in the EU as you have no rights to work there. With ILR you only have the right to work in the UK.

Your limited will need to arrange these as all EU states AFAIK only issue employer based work permits, but without a local presence that's not going to happen.

Comment

No, you will need visas/Work permits for working in the EU as you have no rights to work there. With ILR you only have the right to work in the UK.

Your limited will need to arrange these as all EU states AFAIK only issue employer based work permits, but without a local presence that's not going to happen.
              Ok, thanks for all your help - going to have to do some more digging then. Definitely doesn't sound straight-forward.

Thanks.

Comment

Isn't there a possibility that if the work overseas is limited in its scope and duration it may be covered by that specific countries visiting businessman type arrangements (i.e. the ILR is irrelevant, he would just be treated as any other visitor any may or may not a visa/work permit).

Further, if the OP is going to be there for some time they are potentially putting their ILR at risk anyway since the must both be maintaining a home in the UK and not out of the UK for 2 years (the former being the possible risk).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Isn't there a possibility that if the work overseas is limited in its scope and duration it may be covered by that specific countries visiting businessman type arrangements (i.e. the ILR is irrelevant, he would just be treated as any other visitor any may or may not a visa/work permit).

Further, if the OP is going to be there for some time they are potentially putting their ILR at risk anyway since the must both be maintaining a home in the UK and not out of the UK for 2 years (the former being the possible risk).
                  There's the Schengen Business visa but that's 90 days in every 180 and is for meetings, presentations etc. up to the OP whether to risk it plus it takes a while to arrange the visa, usually with trips to the respective consulates.

Comment

Working...
                  X