• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a quick hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick hello

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be worth signing up as I am "between jobs" and thinking of moving into contracting instead.

I see you guys are really down on agents - a fact not lost on the agent who recommended I sign-up to the forum to see what everyone is saying about the market just now!

Originally posted by antihippy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be worth signing up as I am "between jobs" and thinking of moving into contracting instead.

I see you guys are really down on agents - a fact not lost on the agent who recommended I sign-up to the forum to see what everyone is saying about the market just now!
    Welcome. Don't take the agent bashing to heart. If you read many of the threads the reasons behind it are trivial and the contractor should know it's just business. More often than not it's a poor contractor blaming someone else. Here is an example of one guy blaming an agent for not getting hold of him when the OP was asleep at 11am.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1962978

A lot of complaints that agents don't call back with feedback. The silence is all the feedback a contractor needs. Not the best way of doing business admittedly but you have the answer.

They are a necessary evil and part of the game. Just be aware of their tricks and you'll be fine.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers.

Oh yeah I understand.

What I was really meaning was that the conversation went something like this:

"Have you thought about contracting?"
      "Yes I have."
      "Well let's have a talk about that... I also recommend speaking to other guys in the field. Like ContractorUK - though they do hate us all!"

I had already looked at the site although I hadn't signed up.

Comment

Cheers.

Oh yeah I understand.

"Yes I have."
        "Well let's have a talk about that... I also recommend speaking to other guys in the field. Like ContractorUK - though they do hate us all!"

LOL.

Just remember one agent only has finite number of clients so don't think getting in bed with an agent will get you a gig. You have to find the gig on jobserve and the like and go with the agent that has it. Do your research to make the sure agency is ok and not about to go under by all means but take the feedback that the entire agency is to be avoided just because one guy is a nobhead with a pinch of salt. He can be the biggest nobhead in the world to me as long as I get the £400 a day contract he has and they pay me on time(ish). Not quite as simple as that but you get the idea. Just make sure you have researched everything so they don't pull your pants down and have you over the same barrel PC seems to frequent.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"Yes I have."
          He sounds the sensitive type. I imagine his performance review is stamped in red ink 'Not Cut Out To Be An Agent'.

Anyway, welcome aboard

Comment

Cheers.

Oh yeah I understand.

"Yes I have."

Did the agent ask you for two references (a current theme for agent bashing on this site [justifiably so imho] !) ?

Comment

Working...
            X