• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What incentive is there for umbrellas to chase payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Are you implying that their umbrella isn't compliant?

There's no way I'd want to square off against Lucy. I'm just a poor Southern payroller freshly arrived on the forum, she'd destroy me

To be fair, Lucy is absolutely right. I've never thought about it in the terminology of a "Bonus" as the split of NLW / other income was there to ensure expenses didn't take contractors below minimum wage and indicate what remaining value could have been claimed as expenses (if they were accrued of course).

Contractually, if it's down as a bonus then theoretically the Umbrella company might be able to withhold it, but really I don't see it happening. It's in their interest to get you paid (and charged) and to get the money from the client.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbermill View Post
      There's no way I'd want to square off against Lucy. I'm just a poor Southern payroller freshly arrived on the forum, she'd destroy me

To be fair, Lucy is absolutely right. I've never thought about it in the terminology of a "Bonus" as the split of NLW / other income was there to ensure expenses didn't take contractors below minimum wage and indicate what remaining value could have been claimed as expenses (if they were accrued of course).

Contractually, if it's down as a bonus then theoretically the Umbrella company might be able to withhold it, but really I don't see it happening. It's in their interest to get you paid (and charged) and to get the money from the client.
      Just a dear old brummie living down south not that scary, honest!

The payment split also looks at holiday pay too - if operating holiday pay as per the EU Working Time Directive (not rolled up ), this means that the minimum is taken per pay period for the holiday pot. If we were taking holiday pay at most of our contractors contract rate, they would be seriously miffed.

Comment

Working...
      X