+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 83
  1. #21

    Banned


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Help on choosing the right umbrella

    Hi i found it difficult trying to choose the right umbrella.

    i have always said the proof is in the pudding, and dont take anyones word that a certain umbrella is best.

    look at this w ww.umbrellasupermarket.com/

  2. #22

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,238
    Thanks (Given)
    345
    Thanks (Received)
    1132
    Likes (Given)
    3366
    Likes (Received)
    2808

    Default

    SJD also do a contractors guide, which is good.
    Last edited by administrator; 23rd November 2007 at 14:18.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  3. #23

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,004
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    165
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    SJD also do a contractors guide, which is good.
    As do CUK, if you look over on the right. The most authoratative and unbiased one though is http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...759&Itemid=321, which was written by the experts.
    Blog? What blog...?

  4. #24

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Cool info on umbrella companies

    Can somebody help me here....... I am thinking of working in Saudi Arabia for an English based agency and will get paid into an English a/c. I have an NT code from revenue. Does IR35 affect me? I was thinking of getting an English umbrella company. What can I claim for and what tax implications do I have. Do I need to pay NI?
    Tks

  5. #25

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    So it seems that unless you are claiming expenses, then it is not worth joining an umbrella company?

    And that you must pay the same amount of tax as you would direct with the agency?

    Is this how umbrellas work?

    Thanks

  6. #26

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Cowboy Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,692
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by multiuk View Post
    So it seems that unless you are claiming expenses, then it is not worth joining an umbrella company?
    The amount of expenses you can claim through an umbrella are exactly the same as those you can claim if you work via any other vehicle. If the umbrella tell you anything else, they are lying. Most will use their dispensation as an advertising point - you need to be very aware that the dispensation applies to them, not to you, and that all it means is that they don't have to record the expenses on their P11D form, it is not free money from Gordon Brown (as if he'd ever give money away) - this is very misleading, but nearly all of them try it on.

  7. #27
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,377
    Thanks (Given)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    82
    Likes (Given)
    533
    Likes (Received)
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    The amount of expenses you can claim through an umbrella are exactly the same as those you can claim if you work via any other vehicle. If the umbrella tell you anything else, they are lying. Most will use their dispensation as an advertising point - you need to be very aware that the dispensation applies to them, not to you, and that all it means is that they don't have to record the expenses on their P11D form, it is not free money from Gordon Brown (as if he'd ever give money away) - this is very misleading, but nearly all of them try it on.
    As it happens a mate has just joined an umbrella for some agency work he is doing. He asked me about this and they were absolutely crystal about the 5 quid over night allowance etc. They said meals paid for at cost, up to x. So they are not all bad.

  8. #28

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,238
    Thanks (Given)
    345
    Thanks (Received)
    1132
    Likes (Given)
    3366
    Likes (Received)
    2808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    As it happens a mate has just joined an umbrella for some agency work he is doing. He asked me about this and they were absolutely crystal about the 5 quid over night allowance etc. They said meals paid for at cost, up to x. So they are not all bad.
    5 is allowed if you are working away from home and staying overnight. It's more if you are staying overseas.

    Anything else has to be as incurred, and in line with HMRC guidelines / legislation.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  9. #29
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,377
    Thanks (Given)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    82
    Likes (Given)
    533
    Likes (Received)
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    5 is allowed if you are working away from home and staying overnight. It's more if you are staying overseas.

    Anything else has to be as incurred, and in line with HMRC guidelines / legislation.
    10 in those circumstances.

    My point was that whilst in general we repeat ad nauseum "you've got to spend it - this is what the brolly doesn't say" this particulalr brolly also take that line.

  10. #30

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,238
    Thanks (Given)
    345
    Thanks (Received)
    1132
    Likes (Given)
    3366
    Likes (Received)
    2808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    10 in those circumstances.

    My point was that whilst in general we repeat ad nauseum "you've got to spend it - this is what the brolly doesn't say" this particulalr brolly also take that line.
    Indeed - name and praise!!
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.