+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    802
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sounds like a switch from a problem umbrella to a really helpful umbrella might be in order....
    You may be right, but if I get a non-nonsense answer then I'm happy to write it off as a combination of crap customer service and unnecessary panic on my part. I don't get the sense that changing umbrella companies mid-contract is a painless operation, but I could be wrong - ? I am definitely impressed I got an MD of another umbrella company to offer more help on this matter than my own umbrella, that's for sure!

    I'm curious as to how the massive initial expense claim is going to be explained away...
    Last edited by seanraaron; 18th January 2016 at 13:23.

  2. #22

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,062
    Thanks (Given)
    185
    Thanks (Received)
    693
    Likes (Given)
    1137
    Likes (Received)
    2502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanraaron View Post
    They didn't have my current address. I don't understand how that could be...
    A few years ago, just after I'd left the country, I notified them when I changed address in my new country. Some considerable time later, I received a final tax demand with interest and penalties that had been forwarded to me from the old address. When I called up to ask what was going on, I was told that "someone" had change the address back to the old one. The original demand had been sent therefore to the old address, but never forwarded as the redirect had expired. At least they waived the penalty demand... still had to pay the interest though.
    You won. Get over it.

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  3. #23

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    802
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A few years ago, just after I'd left the country, I notified them when I changed address in my new country. Some considerable time later, I received a final tax demand with interest and penalties that had been forwarded to me from the old address. When I called up to ask what was going on, I was told that "someone" had change the address back to the old one. The original demand had been sent therefore to the old address, but never forwarded as the redirect had expired. At least they waived the penalty demand... still had to pay the interest though.
    That's crazy. Almost as nuts as the fact that I have to continue to file US tax returns forever despite barely having worked there long enough to qualify for a state pension and having no intention of ever returning, much less claiming any benefits or whatever paltry pension I'd be entitled to (last notice they sent I think it was a whopping $30/week at age 70).

  4. #24

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,359
    Thanks (Given)
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    741
    Likes (Given)
    4919
    Likes (Received)
    2853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A few years ago, just after I'd left the country, I notified them when I changed address in my new country. Some considerable time later, I received a final tax demand with interest and penalties that had been forwarded to me from the old address. When I called up to ask what was going on, I was told that "someone" had change the address back to the old one. The original demand had been sent therefore to the old address, but never forwarded as the redirect had expired. At least they waived the penalty demand... still had to pay the interest though.
    I recently had a debt agent chasing me, representing HMRC.

    They had the company address as my old residential address, even though they had been written to by my accountant and had the address changed on their systems.
    They had, also, written to the new co address at the accountants for the whole of last year.

    I still had to pay the interest, also.

  5. #25

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanraaron View Post
    You may be right, but if I get a non-nonsense answer then I'm happy to write it off as a combination of crap customer service and unnecessary panic on my part. I don't get the sense that changing umbrella companies mid-contract is a painless operation, but I could be wrong - ? I am definitely impressed I got an MD of another umbrella company to offer more help on this matter than my own umbrella, that's for sure!

    I'm curious as to how the massive initial expense claim is going to be explained away...
    The explanation will probably be that they've applied 'scale rates' which can be allowed without the need for receipts. However, there does need a cost to be incurred in order for the scale rate to be payable so, allowing 5 per day for lunch is all very well if you're buying a sarnie at the local M&S but not if you're taking in a packed lunch. See here EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates for more info and have a close look at the section marked 'qualifying conditions'
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  6. #26

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    802
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    The explanation will probably be that they've applied 'scale rates' which can be allowed without the need for receipts. However, there does need a cost to be incurred in order for the scale rate to be payable so, allowing 5 per day for lunch is all very well if you're buying a sarnie at the local M&S but not if you're taking in a packed lunch. See here EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates for more info and have a close look at the section marked 'qualifying conditions'
    That would be a funny response since they require a scan/photo of any receipts to go with an expense claim before they'll pay it. Or at least that's what they say - again if so what happened here?

  7. #27

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanraaron View Post
    That would be a funny response since they require a scan/photo of any receipts to go with an expense claim before they'll pay it. Or at least that's what they say - again if so what happened here?
    It could just be simple human error - none of us is perfect

    If that is the explanation you get then I would just ask for a correction to be made in the next pay period
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  8. #28

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,707
    Thanks (Given)
    362
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    3508
    Likes (Received)
    3024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanraaron View Post
    That's crazy. Almost as nuts as the fact that I have to continue to file US tax returns forever despite barely having worked there long enough to qualify for a state pension and having no intention of ever returning, much less claiming any benefits or whatever paltry pension I'd be entitled to (last notice they sent I think it was a whopping $30/week at age 70).
    Renounce your citizenship and you won't have to.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  9. #29

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    802
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Renounce your citizenship and you won't have to.
    Thought about it many times. You're required to file for a decade following the act in case you're doing it for financial reasons. Also I travel back there with my kid on occasion to visit family and being in separate queues doesn't appeal. If the US or UK ever stopped doing the dual national thing I'd hand it in in a heartbeat.

  10. #30

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    802
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    It could just be simple human error - none of us is perfect

    If that is the explanation you get then I would just ask for a correction to be made in the next pay period
    This is my hope!

    My hopes are fracturing...the response is that they "process the maximum expenses for each contract" - I'm not sure what that means or how that would help me since I've not made a claim for 100.73...does this make any sense? My query about the minimal tax withholdings was totally ignored.

    I think I may have to make a phone call tomorrow to ask them what is involved in terminating my relationship with them...
    Last edited by seanraaron; 18th January 2016 at 17:28.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.