• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting, advice on mileage and travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No, they haven't.

The rules have changed about claiming expenses from your employer when you have handed your notice in (previously, you had to stop claiming once you were leaving because you were no longer at a temporary location; now you don't).

If you only ever have one place of work through the umbrella company, then you can't claim expenses because it was always a permanent place of work.
    We raise this very point with HMRC and this was their response:

"I can appreciate why it can appear that the temporary workplace rules so complicated and difficult to understand and as you suggest a grey area.

I sought advice from a colleague who knows about these better than I do. He has said that if a worker has fulfilled a number of assignments, each of which was properly regarded as being fulfilled at a temporary workplace, we would not penalise the worker by regarding the final workplace as a permanent one just because during their period of attendance at that place their intentions changed and they sought to bring that employment to an end. We would look at the period of employment as a whole and provided the intention had been to attend a series of temporary workplaces, and this had been demonstrated throughout the employment, we would not regard the final workplace as permanent. The worker will still be regarded as attending that final workplace for the purpose of performing a task of limited duration or for a temporary purpose.

I hope that this helps"
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      We raise this very point with HMRC and this was their response:

"I can appreciate why it can appear that the temporary workplace rules so complicated and difficult to understand and as you suggest a grey area.

I sought advice from a colleague who knows about these better than I do. He has said that if a worker has fulfilled a number of assignments, each of which was properly regarded as being fulfilled at a temporary workplace, we would not penalise the worker by regarding the final workplace as a permanent one just because during their period of attendance at that place their intentions changed and they sought to bring that employment to an end. We would look at the period of employment as a whole and provided the intention had been to attend a series of temporary workplaces, and this had been demonstrated throughout the employment, we would not regard the final workplace as permanent. The worker will still be regarded as attending that final workplace for the purpose of performing a task of limited duration or for a temporary purpose.

I hope that this helps"
      But where they continue to confuse people is with the highlighted sections above

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
        But where they continue to confuse people is with the highlighted sections above
        Agreed but then again HMRC are not known for making things clear and unambiguous. It's very difficult to prove intent unfortunately
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Manchester to Guernsey to Gatwick on a Sunday night. Spend the night in Guernsey and into London first thing Monday morning.

Same route on the way back.

Simple.
          I never thought of that thanks.

Ideally I want to back Sunday so I am not late for work Monday am.

Also I am not clear about claiming mileage? I have been told I can claim by the company?

I have a high maintenance car so wouldnt make any money on claiming the mileage, I would prefer the option where some people get the maintenance paid for and little or no money for mileage!

Comment

Working...
          X