• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing Apple or Android tablets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having done all the research and been to PC World we have just ordered the Google Asus Nexus 7 16gb for our 8yr old.

Getting it for £40 less than current price (£160 from £200) as models are being superceeded by 32gb. 16gb will be enough for what he will use it for, even if for £40 more we could have have the extra memory. And much cheaper than any of the i products.
    Last edited by kaiser78; 11 November 2012, 18:20.

Comment

imho all tablets are good now, i've tried the latest samsung yesterday and found that the screen quality is pretty good. However, I prefer mac as i 'm using a macbook and iphone, so there is no sence to go for android.

What I like about android and miss in apple that you should not sync and can simply download data via usb! That itunes necessity sometimes kills me.

For those who has macs all around it is certainly better to go for apple products.

Comment

Is it still the case that apple stuff doesn't play flash?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          I don't think Android does Flash now does it? Haven't Adobe pulled dev on it?

Flash is pants anyway, usually means 'advert'.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Flash is pants anyway, usually means 'advert'.....
            Facebook scrabble works on my phone, so assume that's supporting flash.

Lots of websites still use it - tesco bank for example.

Comment

It's the mobile Flash Player that Adobe have pulled the plug on. It's still around for desktop and people still develop in Flash but I think they're moving towards compiling it and ending up with HTML5 instead of an SWF file.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                No standalone Flash player for Android 4.1, but it is built into Firefox and there are a few apps based on Air (which is basically Flash), like iPlayer for example.

Like it or not, Flash is a commonly used internet format. So any browser not supporting it is broken by design. And ads won't go away, there's already a few tools that'll convert from SWF to SVG/HTML5 so the ad makers don't even need to try that hard.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

IPad doesn't support file upload from browser: iPad Annoyance: File Uploads in Safari | Jeremy Zawodny's blog

So you take a picture and want to upload it to a website. Cant do it, unless there is a native app for that site.

Reason for this is that apple dont want to allow you to browse the filesystem of the device.

Not sure if non-ios devices have this problem though..

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Flash is dead, it just hasn't yet been fully eradicated. Adobe have killed it on all mobile platforms, and before too long all other platforms will be in security-patch-only mode. Good riddance

Comment

Originally posted by lithium147 View Post
                      IPad doesn't support file upload from browser: iPad Annoyance: File Uploads in Safari | Jeremy Zawodny's blog

So you take a picture and want to upload it to a website. Cant do it, unless there is a native app for that site.

Reason for this is that apple dont want to allow you to browse the filesystem of the device.

Not sure if non-ios devices have this problem though..
                      That was then, this is now. Safari in iOS 6 supports <input type="file"> for certain file types, including photos: tap the element, choose the photo option, use the standard media library component to select the photo, upload.
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 15 November 2012, 23:49.

Comment

Working...
                      X