• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price of storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of storage

Seen the price of hard drives over the last week or so?

Bought 4 1TB drives on 14th Oct for £153 they are now £129 each

All hard drive stock has shot up in price due to the floods in Thailand apparently. Resellers making a lot of money out of this but sounds like supply may be low until 2nd quarter next year.

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Seen the price of hard drives over the last week or so?

Bought 4 1TB drives on 14th Oct for £153 they are now £129 each

All hard drive stock has shot up in price due to the floods in Thailand apparently. Resellers making a lot of money out of this but sounds like supply may be low until 2nd quarter next year.
    Supply will be none existent to the end of Q2 next year. From the calculation I saw 25% of capacity has disappeared but 66% of all hard drives go to PC and storage manufacturers on long term contracts.

So what was 10 million hard drives a month going into the general market will drop to less than 3 million. Oh and one expert is expecting another 50% increase in prices when the wholesalers discover how little will be delivered this month.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No onder the forums are so flakey if you are buying cheap HDD
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Some 2Tb WD RE4-GP drives I was looking at (6 of) were around the £122 mark now are pushing £200 each!

Comment

What have HDD got to do with Thailand?
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            What have HDD got to do with Thailand?
            Its where they moved the factories to once China became too expensive.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              No onder the forums are so flakey if you are buying cheap HDD
              Was not aware the forums were flaky... These were just some standard SATA drives for a backup machine here.

I spent a bit of time Wednesday trying to track down what drives I could but everywhere was pretty much sold out. Best I could find was some external 1TB drives at £50 - everywhere now has them on at £70-80 so will look flog them on when prices rise a bit more. Happily have no plans for new servers or desktops here for the foreseeable future. Some quite cheap desktops still on ebuyer where the cost of the machine is only a few quid more than the cost of the hard drive inside it, might buy 10 or so of these to flog on next year when they will be double the price.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Was not aware the forums were flaky...
                Unlock TPD and see how we go
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Unlock TPD and see how we go
                  On a much pokier server than when I had to close that down, just had a quick play on it and it is not too bad. With a few server tweaks it could be manageable. Nick was going to have a look at some optimisation tricks as well and need him to do some more patching work on here soon so will definitely look into it

Comment

Rats. I bought a couple of drives the other week. Should have bought more.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X