• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gosh. Stuff I never knew about Vista.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh. Stuff I never knew about Vista.

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Did Windows 7 inherit all that?

Or was it all stripped out so M$ could say they've improved performance?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

That one was doing the rounds when Vista started shipping on new kit.

It put us quite off the product.

Moving on, Windows 2008 Server is apparently Vista with the crap stripped out.
      Ditto for Windows 2008 Server R2 in relation to Windows 7.

While I haven't had chance to try out the R2 flavour, 2008 Server would be my preferred choice out of the Windows range. It's the most stable version of Windows I've run and has some very nice features. Pity about the price though.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        While I haven't had chance to try out the R2 flavour, 2008 Server would be my preferred choice out of the Windows range. It's the most stable version of Windows I've run and has some very nice features. Pity about the price though.

Under 40 notes including VAT if you can live with the restrictions of Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation Edition, branded here as Windows Homer Server 2011 due to a few bolt-ons that can be ignored or disabled.

Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 - 1 server, 10 CALs
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Under 40 notes including VAT if you can live with the restrictions of Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation Edition, branded here as Windows Homer Server 2011 due to a few bolt-ons that can be ignored or disabled.

Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 - 1 server, 10 CALs
          Ta for that. What does 10 CALs give you in practice?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Ta for that. What does 10 CALs give you in practice?
            Up to 10 clients can access the server, legally. Not sure how it is enforced, if at all, or if relevant in a closed environment such as messing around with at home, where you're unlikely to have 10 client devices trying to connect at the same time.

This has some pretty pictures. Not bothered to read all the text.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Client Access License (CAL) Guide
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
            X