• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Consultative Document - marketed tax avoidance schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC has released a further consulattion document on Strengthening the tax avoidance disclosure regimes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ation_2014.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
      Does anyone know how many DOTAS scheme numbers there were in total (I'm assuming the list was not contiguous)? Maybe an FOI request to understand whether the published list of those that may/will be subject to APN's is actually just a fishing expedition on 100% of registered schemes.
      Around 2,500 in total.

Some have been investigated and no further action is planned.

Some have been registered as a matter of expediency or in compliance with best practice and further action is unlikely.

We have seen 1,200 or so for now. The next update is October and I would expect around 100 to 150 new numbers to be added.

Comment

Originally posted by eazy View Post
        HMRC has released a further consulattion document on Strengthening the tax avoidance disclosure regimes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ation_2014.pdf
        This has been around since the end of July and is looking mainly at how to capture schemes that presently escape the rules either through artful legal analysis or simple non compliance.

One interesting feature is a proposal to do away with the "grandfathering" clause. That says that if a scheme is similar to something that was being done pre 2004 or similar to something already disclosed by that promoter, then a new DOTAS registration is not required.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob79 View Post
          This has been around since the end of July and is looking mainly at how to capture schemes that presently escape the rules either through artful legal analysis or simple non compliance.

One interesting feature is a proposal to do away with the "grandfathering" clause. That says that if a scheme is similar to something that was being done pre 2004 or similar to something already disclosed by that promoter, then a new DOTAS registration is not required.
          I'm sure you have all enjoyed ROB79's very expert posts. His expertise and incite goes beyond what you might expect from a typical tax consultant. Clearly he is not a contractor. I have no doubt that he is HMRC's "deep-throat" and at the appropriate time, when we have all bought into his wise counsel, he's going give us.. "Bad luck everyone, you can't win, time to pay up". Why would anyone with his expertise and insight spend so long on these threads? Where does he get all his immediate analysis when there is any new announcement from HMRC. Nice try "Rob" but I'm not taken in.

Comment

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
            I'm sure you have all enjoyed ROB79's very expert posts. His expertise and incite goes beyond what you might expect from a typical tax consultant. Clearly he is not a contractor. I have no doubt that he is HMRC's "deep-throat" and at the appropriate time, when we have all bought into his wise counsel, he's going give us.. "Bad luck everyone, you can't win, time to pay up". Why would anyone with his expertise and insight spend so long on these threads? Where does he get all his immediate analysis when there is any new announcement from HMRC. Nice try "Rob" but I'm not taken in.
            The other common denominator in "Helpful Rob's" posts is that he/she has never posted outside work hours.

Comment

The other common denominator in "Helpful Rob's" posts is that he/she has never posted outside work hours.
              To be fair here - I don't post outside office hours, I have access to the same information as Rob as I have RSS feeds set up for HMRC and the Treasury (and BIS as it happens) and also have a (slightly geeky admittedly ) interest in the subject of tax avoidance.

I don't know Rob but I don't think it's fair to assume that he's an HMRC spy based on what he's posted here
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

If you want to PM me, I'll send you a link to a bio?

Think you'll find that most people who work in tax tend to check HMRC and HMT websites everyday and thus appear well informed because that's their job.

I've said before that I used to work for HMRC but left in 1979. My present job involves me speaking with HMRC pretty much every week on behalf of clients who pay me for my trouble.

I've said before that I post here because my clients got themselves into some serious trouble through lack of understanding and I think that the contractor sector has some elements of that but which could be avoided.

Is this altruistic? Yes. Is it vanity on my part? Probably yes.

By all means have your own opinion and share it if you wish but I'll continue unless banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob79 View Post
                  If you want to PM me, I'll send you a link to a bio?

Think you'll find that most people who work in tax tend to check HMRC and HMT websites everyday and thus appear well informed because that's their job.

I've said before that I used to work for HMRC but left in 1979. My present job involves me speaking with HMRC pretty much every week on behalf of clients who pay me for my trouble.

I've said before that I post here because my clients got themselves into some serious trouble through lack of understanding and I think that the contractor sector has some elements of that but which could be avoided.

Is this altruistic? Yes. Is it vanity on my part? Probably yes.

By all means have your own opinion and share it if you wish but I'll continue unless banned.
                  OK, please accept my apology. I always enjoy your posts which add many value than any of the tosh the rest of us post!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    To be fair here - I don't post outside office hours, I have access to the same information as Rob as I have RSS feeds set up for HMRC and the Treasury (and BIS as it happens) and also have a (slightly geeky admittedly ) interest in the subject of tax avoidance.

I don't know Rob but I don't think it's fair to assume that he's an HMRC spy based on what he's posted here
                    Thank you for the support.

My interest is primarily tax avoidance or more particularly what is now seen as tax avoidance but which at the time of joining was seen as legitimate. Most of my clients are victims of moving goalposts and sales people with silver tongues matched only by their ability to disappear when the manure hit the ventilation, using fat wallets to absorb the shock.

I have NO clients in the contractor sector. My business has NO means to assist those in this sector unless by way of legal challenge for mis-selling and to be blunt there are expert firms out there who do that better than us.

I do NOT work for HMRC.

Comment

No banning here Rob.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X