+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default s29 of Taxes Management Act 1970 - Next Steps 2012-13 Tax year

    So I have received a notice of assessment under s29 of the TMA 1970 for the 2012-13 tax year requesting payment by 20 April 2017. My scheme promoter has written back appealing the assessment saying - There are no grounds for raising an assessment; That HMRC have not made any discovery, hence assessment in invalid and the assessment not in line with information provided to HMRC. HMRC have acknowledged the appeal and to cover my self, I have taken out a Certificate of Deposit.

    Can anyone advise on likely next steps in this scenario, what are the next steps for HMRC? My scheme promoter has stated to that it is willing to fight this and defend the arrangements in court if necessary and that they have never marketed this as an avoidance scheme but I won't be taking their word literally. I am just keen to understand the likely next steps from HMRC after sending in the appeal.

  2. #2

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,651
    Thanks (Given)
    432
    Thanks (Received)
    890
    Likes (Given)
    3870
    Likes (Received)
    2519

    Default

    Who is your scheme promoter?

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Who is your scheme promoter?
    AML IOM ltd

  4. #4

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,651
    Thanks (Given)
    432
    Thanks (Received)
    890
    Likes (Given)
    3870
    Likes (Received)
    2519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    AML IOM ltd
    I've moved your post the the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum, someone will be able to help you there.

  5. #5

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I've moved your post the the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum, someone will be able to help you there.
    Thanks

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    1,447
    Thanks (Given)
    22
    Thanks (Received)
    241
    Likes (Given)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    So I have received a notice of assessment under s29 of the TMA 1970 for the 2012-13 tax year requesting payment by 20 April 2017. My scheme promoter has written back appealing the assessment saying - There are no grounds for raising an assessment; That HMRC have not made any discovery, hence assessment in invalid and the assessment not in line with information provided to HMRC. HMRC have acknowledged the appeal and to cover my self, I have taken out a Certificate of Deposit.

    Can anyone advise on likely next steps in this scenario, what are the next steps for HMRC? My scheme promoter has stated to that it is willing to fight this and defend the arrangements in court if necessary and that they have never marketed this as an avoidance scheme but I won't be taking their word literally. I am just keen to understand the likely next steps from HMRC after sending in the appeal.
    • Assessment
    • Appeal and postpone
    • HMRC continue enquiries
    • In due course application for Tribunal hearing on (usually) selected test cases
    • You can join/not join that test case
    • Decision from Tribunal
    • Appeal from decision to Upper Tier, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court
    • Final decision - say 2021.

    Go and get some appropriate advice.

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    • Assessment
    • Appeal and postpone
    • HMRC continue enquiries
    • In due course application for Tribunal hearing on (usually) selected test cases
    • You can join/not join that test case
    • Decision from Tribunal
    • Appeal from decision to Upper Tier, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court
    • Final decision - say 2021.

    Go and get some appropriate advice.
    Thanks for this, it's difficult getting right advice as this is where I ended up in a loan scheme, do I also advise HMRC that I was in the scheme for about 5 months of the following tax year? When is WTT big group reopening

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.