+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Sorry I do not have any HMRC contacts, I am not settling direct. I am in Big Group.

    What I have been told is that settling with HMRC directly for years prior to 2011 that no NIC is chargeable.

    Settling closed years prior to 2011 no NIC or Interest.

    Someone who was with Cascade and who has access to the Matt Hall's HMRC note should be able to confirm this.

  2. #12
    CDJ
    CDJ is offline

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    43
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    (For transparency - I used an EBT scheme from 06-09 and settled via the CLSO)

    I am not sure what HMRC are offering those that are contacting them to settle now, but under CLSO, the key points being No NIs,; Promoter fees not included as income (or allowable deductions) and importantly in terms of your calculations that Unopened years would be deemed "settled" and the indication from the draft announcement is that these years will still be settled in terms of the 2019 loan charge.

    You are right in pointing out that by waiting for the 2019 Charge you will avoid any interest charges - for some, this could be decisive. But you need to balance that with the fact that all of your loans will likely be calculated at the higher rates (both %40 and 45% brackets) and note, there is every chance these rates could be increased (or other changes to income tax are introduced). I would suggest that the saving from not paying interest and not being able to use lower tax rates for the loan amounts in year, could quickly be eroded for those with a number of scheme years.

    There is also the APN issue.. those that have paid APNs will pay no interest, but again due to the higher tax bracket this could also make it more advantageous to settle early.

    Absolutely right that everyone should think about the calculation though, I just don't think that everyone would find a similar advantage to waiting.

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    I think it's also worth noting that the 2019 charge may not actually be the end of it.

    If you take what Saleos say at face value, it sounds like HMRC will come back for the difference if 2019 is less than what you would have paid if the loans are treated as income and taxed in year drawn + interest + scheme fees.

  4. #14

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    206
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Given)
    105
    Likes (Received)
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcgeorge23 View Post
    I think it's also worth noting that the 2019 charge may not actually be the end of it.

    If you take what Saleos say at face value, it sounds like HMRC will come back for the difference if 2019 is less than what you would have paid if the loans are treated as income and taxed in year drawn + interest + scheme fees.
    The longer this saga goes on and the more uncertainty and moving of goalposts there are, bankruptcy and starting over again seems the only 100% way of getting out of it all !!!! Not for everyone I know and not ideal and completely barmy to even see it that way

  5. #15

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    45
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default Example 1

    600k total loans
    150k in 08/09, 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12
    10% uplift for promoters fee (10/9 * 150k = 167k)
    20k salary in each year
    100k salary in 2018/19

    All open years. Assuming settlement includes NICs and interest.

    Settlement now - 326k
    2019 charge - 284k

  6. #16
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,197
    Thanks (Given)
    207
    Thanks (Received)
    991
    Likes (Given)
    915
    Likes (Received)
    3057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    600k total loans
    150k in 08/09, 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12
    10% uplift for promoters fee (10/9 * 150k = 167k)
    20k salary in each year
    100k salary in 2018/19

    All open years. Assuming settlement includes NICs and interest.

    Settlement now - 326k
    2019 charge - 284k
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  7. #17

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    45
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default Example 2

    145k loans received in 2008/9
    20k salary in 2008/9
    40k salary in 2018/19

    Settlement now - 78k
    2019 charge - 66k

  8. #18
    CDJ
    CDJ is offline

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    43
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    600k total loans
    150k in 08/09, 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12
    10% uplift for promoters fee (10/9 * 150k = 167k)
    20k salary in each year
    100k salary in 2018/19

    All open years. Assuming settlement includes NICs and interest.

    Settlement now - 326k
    2019 charge - 284k
    Hmmm.. not sure your sums are right here.. quick calc putting 700k into a standard 2017-18 tax calculator returns income tax (i.e. excl any NI) of 301,100..

    Total Tax due 43.0% 301,100.00
    20.0% rate 0.9% 6,400.00
    40.0% rate 6.7% 47,200.00
    45.0% rate 35.4% 247,500.00

    even with NIs, I think you'd still be right (as in better off), but I don't think your advantage would be as much.. (and of course it depends whether Hammond introduces any further surprises for us)

  9. #19

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    147
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    I guess until we know if the above is true regarding HMRC coming back if they get less than they would under settlement it is all up in the air.

    The lack of clarity is classic HMRC, utter ****wits.

  10. #20

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    45
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
    Hmmm.. not sure your sums are right here.. quick calc putting 700k into a standard 2017-18 tax calculator returns income tax (i.e. excl any NI) of 301,100..

    Total Tax due 43.0% 301,100.00
    20.0% rate 0.9% 6,400.00
    40.0% rate 6.7% 47,200.00
    45.0% rate 35.4% 247,500.00

    even with NIs, I think you'd still be right (as in better off), but I don't think your advantage would be as much.. (and of course it depends whether Hammond introduces any further surprises for us)

    Sorry, I should have made it clear. The figures I gave are the extra you would have to pay by settling or paying the charge.

    In the case of 100k salary and 600k loan charge, 284k is the difference between tax/nics on 100k and 700k.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.