• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APN Penalty - uncollectible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    The piece from ScottW looks to be about it.
    So - despite having emails from the tax tribunal telling me the penalty has been 'stayed' I come home tonight to letters from Hmrc telling me to pay the thing as well as a letter from a debt management company telling me they have been at my house.

I then check my email and I have one from tax tribunal trying to recall the emails they sent me telling me of the 'stay'

Is this some Kafkaesque universe I have fallen into or do these people not know what they are doing.

talking of that - I don't know what to do next - anybody have any thoughts?
    Last edited by ScottW; 3 March 2016, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
      I don't know what to do next - anybody have any thoughts?
      Buy the most expensive bottle of wine you can afford. Look at it everyday but don't open it.
      Keep it for the day when HMRC are defeated at the Supreme Court.
      Open the wine and enjoy.

Personally i'm keeping my bottle for when HMRC are not only defeated at the Supreme Court, but are also taken to court to pay compensation for damage, stress and harassment. I may have to wait 10+ years, but I am prepared to wait.

I know of 2 schemes with the funds (several millions) to take the fight all the way. Even if you are not in one of those schemes, the rulings will still benefit you.

Comment

Is this some Kafkaesque universe I have fallen into or are do these people not know what they are doing.
        Talking of that - I don't know what to do next - anybody have any thoughts?
        It's both.
        Make a formal complaint. Go to the Adjudicator. Complain to your MP about HMRC terrorizing you. Copy your MP on all correspondence to HMRC.
        And join us in BG if you're not there already.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Whysoserious View Post
          I know of 2 schemes with the funds (several millions) to take the fight all the way. Even if you are not in one of those schemes, the rulings will still benefit you.
          The question is not as much one of funding as it is one of appetite.
          That said, I completely agree with your post.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Received as regards appealing penalties on the Edge scheme.
            Are you party to an Edge JR?

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
              Are you party to an Edge JR?
              This is Edge but NOT part of the JR

Comment

This is Edge but NOT part of the JR
                I am really confused.

If you aren't part of the JR then why would they be prevented from collecting penalties?

Comment

I am really confused.

If you aren't part of the JR then why would they be prevented from collecting penalties?
                  APN and penalties applied to time with Edge. APN and penalties appealed on the grounds that there is a JR taking place. Not part of that JR but appealed on the fact that there is one. Nobody has said you need to be part of a JR to appeal.

Comment

APN and penalties applied to time with Edge. APN and penalties appealed on the grounds that there is a JR taking place. Not part of that JR but appealed on the fact that there is one. Nobody has said you need to be part of a JR to appeal.
                    There must either be another Edge JR ongoing that I'd not aware of or I am missing something.

Comment

There must either be another Edge JR ongoing that I'd not aware of or I am missing something.
                      To my knowledge there is one Edge JR. Why do you think you are missing something? You can appeal collection and penalties without being part of a JR.

Comment

Working...
                      X