• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier APN withdrawl hits mainstream press

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montpelier APN withdrawl hits mainstream press

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1ebe52d8-b...#axzz3xfxr42tu
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Link via Google results (otherwise you hit a paywall): https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...s+APN+withdraw

Comment

None of his firm’s clients have yet been reimbursed by the tax authority, which in its letter wrote, “sorry for the inconvenience caused”.

When we make a mistake, we are criminals who need our bank account raided. When they make a deliberate systematic bullying action, nothing happens. I am amazed they apologized.

Comment

Wow, that's amazing. The IRS used to act like that for ages until a major overhaul in the 90s to make them "friendlier" and a recognition that forcing people to liquidate assets to settle a bill prior to the actual investigation, probably wasn't a very nice thing to do.

I think part of the problem is down to the remit of these organisations. Given the unwillingness to raise taxes, the main means of paying the bills for the current government is cutting social spending and ensuring all taxes owed are collected - necessarily you're going to see a much more agressive attitude from HMRC because there's apparently a half-billion to be made going after "tax dodgers."
        Last edited by seanraaron; 19 January 2016, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
          Wow, that's amazing. The IRS used to act like that for ages until a major overhaul in the 90s to make them "friendlier" and a recognition that forcing people to liquidate assets to settle a bill prior to the actual investigation, probably wasn't a very nice thing to do.

I think part of the problem is down to the remit of these organisations. Given the unwillingness to raise taxes, the main means of paying the bills for the current government is cutting social spending and ensuring all taxes owed are collected - necessarily you're going to see a much more agressive attitude from HMRC because there's apparently a half-billion to be made going after "tax dodgers."
          Especially when you keep changing the definition of 'tax dodger'
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
          X