• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COP 8 and section 9A = not the same?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penfolds 07/08 enquiry

Received this letter (apparently*) in October 2009:

"Dear XXXX,

Check of Self Assessment Tax Return for the year ending 5 April 2008

Thank you for your tax return for the year ended 5 April 2008, which we received on xx xxx 2009.

Every year we check a number of returns to make sure that they are correct and our customers are paying the right amount of tax. I would now like to check your return. My check will be made under Section 9A of the Taxes Management Act 1970.

What I will be checking

I only intend to look at the employment income and benefits provided to you by Penfolds Ltd. However, when I look at this aspect I may find that I need to extend my check.

What you need to know

I am hoping to deal with this matter centrally but I am opening this check to protect the interests of HMRC, so that any adjustments eventually agreed may be reflected in an amendment to your self assessment if appropriate.

You may wish to talk to your employer about this letter.

After the check is completed

I will let you know if your return is correct. If it is not correct, you might have to pay more tax or we might have to pay something back to you. We will tell you more about this at the time. We normally charge interest on any extra tax that needs to be paid but we can also give interest on amounts we owe to you.

More information

I enclose factsheet CC/FS1 General Information which gives you more information about this type of check. Please take the time to read it. There is more information on our website at www.hmrc.gov.uk."

That was all I heard until the CSO received in August 2014. 5 years of nothing...

*note - I don't believe I actually received this letter, but a scanned copy was provided when I enquired about the proof of open enquiry this year...

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks all.

The only HMRC consistency is inconsistency.

I'm now asking the mods to close this thread please?
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Webberg - before it's closed are you going to share the benefits of your insights?

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
          Webberg - before it's closed are you going to share the benefits of your insights?
          PM me.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
          X