Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Posts 61 to 62 of 62

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Another few points I have been thinking about. I know these sound pretty desperate but thought I would ask.

1) Leverage success of associations?

For example you utilised X EBT. A fight fund or association reached an agreement or deferral or similar. You are not a member of the association. Can you leverage this at all?

2) Non resident?

I know the Mutual Assistance Recovery Directive (MARD) exists but I don't know if this has been used effectively or widely?

If you leave the UK indefinitely or for an extended period of time - would this be successful in deferring or avoiding the liability?

Is being a non-resident enough? What happens if you have minor/significant assets in the UK but are non-resident?

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only a partial replay dmuk - sorry

MARD is a European Directive. Put Mutual Assistance Recovery Directive into good old google and the third hit is an article from Tax Journal, this is quite informative.

Essentially a report is due to go to the EU Commission in January 2018 setting out the details of amounts recovered. Until then we have no way of knowing whether its working and if so which countries are doing best. Of course outside MARD, there may be bilateral treaties between the UK and non-EU countries so depending on whereabouts you are in the world, you could still be caught.

HMRC's Tax Treaties page lists all their arrangements, so you probably need to do a bit more digging.