• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consolation and solace for all of you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by proggy View Post
    No doubt there will be chats about how Developers look down on us but they would be lost without us.
    You must have worked with some tulip people.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I actually enjoyed that conference. Very much a hothouse atmosphere, full of scientifically trained people, including some of the really big names in Context Driven Testing, who challenge every word you say and really make you think. To those of you who think testing is some boring activity involving simply checking inputs and outputs time and time again, I would say that what you are doing is not 'testing', but 'checking', which is a small part of testing. We actually automate as much 'checking' as possible because it's boring and time consuming; real testing is quite a bit more interesting and complicated. It involves a deep understanding of how systems work; I don't mean an understanding of the syntax of a particular language, but learning and experimenting with systems thinking, complexity and even philosophy.

I think our friend 'proggy' needs to read up on Context Driven Testing; it might actually help you to write better software. Seeing as I have taken the trouble over the last 15 years to learn as much about programming as I practically can while working as a tester, because I think if I'm going to test your work then I should understand it, it might be good if you actually took some time to find out a little bit about what I do before making ignorant remarks about testing.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I actually enjoyed that conference. Very much a hothouse atmosphere, full of scientifically trained people, including some of the really big names in Context Driven Testing, who challenge every word you say and really make you think. To those of you who think testing is some boring activity involving simply checking inputs and outputs time and time again, I would say that what you are doing is not 'testing', but 'checking', which is a small part of testing. We actually automate as much 'checking' as possible because it's boring and time consuming; real testing is quite a bit more interesting and complicated. It involves a deep understanding of how systems work; I don't mean an understanding of the syntax of a particular language, but learning and experimenting with systems thinking, complexity and even philosophy.

I think our friend 'proggy' needs to read up on Context Driven Testing; it might actually help you to write better software. Seeing as I have taken the trouble over the last 15 years to learn as much about programming as I practically can while working as a tester, because I think if I'm going to test your work then I should understand it, it might be good if you actually took some time to find out a little bit about what I do before making ignorant remarks about testing.
        The Seven Basic Principles of the Context-Driven School

The value of any practice depends on its context.
        There are good practices in context, but there are no best practices.
        People, working together, are the most important part of any project’s context.
        Projects unfold over time in ways that are often not predictable.
        The product is a solution. If the problem isn’t solved, the product doesn’t work.
        Good software testing is a challenging intellectual process.
        Only through judgment and skill, exercised cooperatively throughout the entire project, are we able to do the right things at the right times to effectively test our products.
        Still sounds like input / expected output stuff ...the rest is mumbo jumbo
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Still sounds like input / expected output stuff ...the rest is mumbo jumbo
          Indeed, Mr Troll

Good conclusion after reading one paragraph from the top return on a google search.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Indeed, Mr Troll

Good conclusion after reading one paragraph from the top return on a google search.
            Made a career out of that!

Comment

Fook

Just gone live and found out a big chunk of countries cannot access the site
              Just forced Bob TM in a teleconference to admit that the access testing for all the geographic locations was not as robust as expected (my words) -i.e. he lied and falsified evidence (what I really meant to say)

Emergency firewall rules going in to open the site up to those locations

What to do about Bob TM (3rd party so cant fire him unfortunately)

Comment

Fook

Just forced Bob TM in a teleconference to admit that the access testing for all the geographic locations was not as robust as expected (my words) -i.e. he lied and falsified evidence (what I really meant to say)

sue for losses.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Fook

What kind of tests is he doing and how is he doing them?

Ask him to explain the difference between checking and testing, but read these articles before you ask him;
                  James Bach

Testing vs. Checking « Developsense Blog

Comment

I read a book on the philosophy of testing once. Testicles I think it was.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X