+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Posts 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    25,527
    Thanks (Given)
    1014
    Thanks (Received)
    902
    Likes (Given)
    4140
    Likes (Received)
    3622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proggy View Post
    No doubt there will be chats about how Developers look down on us but they would be lost without us.
    You must have worked with some tulip people.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  2. #22

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester 's job has never been outsourced

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,893
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    160
    Likes (Given)
    318
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    I actually enjoyed that conference. Very much a hothouse atmosphere, full of scientifically trained people, including some of the really big names in Context Driven Testing, who challenge every word you say and really make you think. To those of you who think testing is some boring activity involving simply checking inputs and outputs time and time again, I would say that what you are doing is not 'testing', but 'checking', which is a small part of testing. We actually automate as much 'checking' as possible because it's boring and time consuming; real testing is quite a bit more interesting and complicated. It involves a deep understanding of how systems work; I don't mean an understanding of the syntax of a particular language, but learning and experimenting with systems thinking, complexity and even philosophy.

    I think our friend 'proggy' needs to read up on Context Driven Testing; it might actually help you to write better software. Seeing as I have taken the trouble over the last 15 years to learn as much about programming as I practically can while working as a tester, because I think if I'm going to test your work then I should understand it, it might be good if you actually took some time to find out a little bit about what I do before making ignorant remarks about testing.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  3. #23

    Seriously Banned

    Troll 's job has never been outsourced

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,599
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    91
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I actually enjoyed that conference. Very much a hothouse atmosphere, full of scientifically trained people, including some of the really big names in Context Driven Testing, who challenge every word you say and really make you think. To those of you who think testing is some boring activity involving simply checking inputs and outputs time and time again, I would say that what you are doing is not 'testing', but 'checking', which is a small part of testing. We actually automate as much 'checking' as possible because it's boring and time consuming; real testing is quite a bit more interesting and complicated. It involves a deep understanding of how systems work; I don't mean an understanding of the syntax of a particular language, but learning and experimenting with systems thinking, complexity and even philosophy.

    I think our friend 'proggy' needs to read up on Context Driven Testing; it might actually help you to write better software. Seeing as I have taken the trouble over the last 15 years to learn as much about programming as I practically can while working as a tester, because I think if I'm going to test your work then I should understand it, it might be good if you actually took some time to find out a little bit about what I do before making ignorant remarks about testing.
    The Seven Basic Principles of the Context-Driven School

    The value of any practice depends on its context.
    There are good practices in context, but there are no best practices.
    People, working together, are the most important part of any project’s context.
    Projects unfold over time in ways that are often not predictable.
    The product is a solution. If the problem isn’t solved, the product doesn’t work.
    Good software testing is a challenging intellectual process.
    Only through judgment and skill, exercised cooperatively throughout the entire project, are we able to do the right things at the right times to effectively test our products.
    Still sounds like input / expected output stuff ...the rest is mumbo jumbo
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  4. #24

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester 's job has never been outsourced

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,893
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    160
    Likes (Given)
    318
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Still sounds like input / expected output stuff ...the rest is mumbo jumbo
    Indeed, Mr Troll

    Good conclusion after reading one paragraph from the top return on a google search.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  5. #25

    Seriously Banned

    Troll 's job has never been outsourced

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,599
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    91
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Indeed, Mr Troll

    Good conclusion after reading one paragraph from the top return on a google search.
    Made a career out of that!
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  6. #26

    Seriously Banned

    Troll 's job has never been outsourced

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,599
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    91
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default

    Fook

    Just gone live and found out a big chunk of countries cannot access the site
    Just forced Bob TM in a teleconference to admit that the access testing for all the geographic locations was not as robust as expected (my words) -i.e. he lied and falsified evidence (what I really meant to say)

    Emergency firewall rules going in to open the site up to those locations

    What to do about Bob TM (3rd party so cant fire him unfortunately)
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  7. #27

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164
    Thanks (Given)
    10
    Thanks (Received)
    117
    Likes (Given)
    340
    Likes (Received)
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Fook

    Just gone live and found out a big chunk of countries cannot access the site
    Just forced Bob TM in a teleconference to admit that the access testing for all the geographic locations was not as robust as expected (my words) -i.e. he lied and falsified evidence (what I really meant to say)

    Emergency firewall rules going in to open the site up to those locations

    What to do about Bob TM (3rd party so cant fire him unfortunately)
    sue for losses.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  8. #28

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester 's job has never been outsourced

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,893
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    160
    Likes (Given)
    318
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Fook

    Just gone live and found out a big chunk of countries cannot access the site
    Just forced Bob TM in a teleconference to admit that the access testing for all the geographic locations was not as robust as expected (my words) -i.e. he lied and falsified evidence (what I really meant to say)

    Emergency firewall rules going in to open the site up to those locations

    What to do about Bob TM (3rd party so cant fire him unfortunately)
    What kind of tests is he doing and how is he doing them?

    Ask him to explain the difference between checking and testing, but read these articles before you ask him;
    James Bach

    Testing vs. Checking « Developsense Blog
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  9. #29

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164
    Thanks (Given)
    10
    Thanks (Received)
    117
    Likes (Given)
    340
    Likes (Received)
    512

    Default

    I read a book on the philosophy of testing once. Testicles I think it was.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.