• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ckimategate 2.0

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ckimategate 2.0

It looks like the hacker who was responsible for Climategate has just released a load more e-mails:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...science-emails

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...limategate-ii/

Climategate 2.0 « the Air Vent

A lot of e-mails just showing how they manipulated the IPCC report.

A few choice bits:

Mike, The Figure you sent is very deceptive [...] there have been a number of
    dishonest presentations of model results by individual authors and by IPCC

We don’t really want the bulltulip and optimistic stuff that Michael has written
    [...] We’ll have to cut out some of his stuff.

A growing body of evidence clearly shows [2008] that hydroclimatic variability
    during the putative MWP (more appropriately and inclusively called the
    “Medieval Climate Anomaly” or MCA period) was more regionally extreme (mainly
    in terms of the frequency and duration of megadroughts) than anything we have
    seen in the 20th century, except perhaps for the Sahel. So in certain ways the
    MCA period may have been more climatically extreme than in modern times.

Although I agree that GHGs are important in the 19th/20th century (especially
    since the 1970s), if the weighting of solar forcing was stronger in the models,
    surely this would diminish the significance of GHGs.
    [...] it seems to me that by weighting the solar irradiance more strongly in the
    models, then much of the 19th to mid 20th century warming can be explained from
    the sun alone.

[...] we found the [urban warming] effect is pretty big in the areas we analyzed.
    This is a little different from the result you obtained in 1990.
    [...] We have published a few of papers on this topic in Chinese. Unfortunately,
    when we sent our comments to the IPCC AR4, they were mostly rejected.

I thought I’d play around with some randomly generated time-series and see if I
    could ‘reconstruct’ northern hemisphere temperatures.
    [...] The reconstructions clearly show a ‘hockey-stick’ trend. I guess this is
    precisely the phenomenon that Macintyre has been going on about.
    My work is as Director of the national centre for climate change research, a
    job which requires me to translate my Christian belief about stewardship of
    God’s planet into research and action.
    Enjoy
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 November 2011, 17:35.
    I'm alright Jack

Oops, BB the standard denier line is that Climategate was the work of a whistleblowing insider, not a hacker. That makes it OK to reproduce this illicitly-obtained internal mail, d'ya see? Otherwise you're complicit in a criminal act...

Anyhoo -Gavin Schmidt, of NASA has made this offer:

If anyone has any questions about anything they see that seems interesting, let us know in the comments and we’ll see if we can provide some context.
    Why not submit your conjectures there, maybe he could fill in all the [...] that make this material so [...] extraordinarily [...] and [...] persuasive ? Rather than just jumping to conclusions. You do know that hydroclimate means water don't you? Is it the Medieval Dry Period now?

I notice that the hackers concede that they have not read all the stuff they've posted. So this stolen material could contain personal, legal, medical or scientific confidences. Are you OK with that?

I liked this comment

If there’d been any silver bullets in the emails they’d have fired them two years ago. All they’re firing are more blanks which denialists seem to think means there’s a body.
    Last edited by pjclarke; 22 November 2011, 23:09.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Comment

Hah, I have my own weather station now. I'll be collecting data for the next year then publish a paper and apply for research funding.

I'll prove that my neighbour half a mile from me with his wood burning stove is contributing to AGM and changing the local climate.

Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Hah, I have my own weather station now. I'll be collecting data for the next year then publish a paper and apply for research funding.

I'll prove that my neighbour half a mile from me with his wood burning stove is contributing to AGM and changing the local climate.

Hadn't you better convert those inches and mph to more modern units before publishing?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Is that you in your plane CH?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Hadn't you better convert those inches and mph to more modern units before publishing?
              I'm of a certain age

I publish the data in all units and where it can be found publicly you can choose, I prefer what you see
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                Is that you in your plane CH?
                One of them, yes.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Sheesh. I remember when the chief constable of Manchester , Jon Anderton said that God was telling him how to run the force.

he was quietly sidelined.

Now some of these climate scientists are at it as well.

It's a worry

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Didn't know you lived in Langbank Clipster. Why is your weather always better than mine ?
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X