• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. XCIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. XCIX

Very late today, what with having to tidy the bench up so it's ready for the next one
    • Unbuilt London: The Transport Schemes That Never Were - "From monorails to raised motorways, heliports to pneumatic propulsion railways: herein lie schemes good, bad and mad that, for one reason or other, never lived to see the light of day." An airport straddling the Thames next to the Palace of Westminster? Hmm...

• The Movie Set That Ate Itself - "Five years ago, a relatively unknown (and unhinged) director began one of the wildest experiments in film history. Armed with total creative control, he invaded a Ukrainian city, marshaled a cast of thousands and thousands, and constructed a totalitarian society in which the cameras are always rolling and the actors never go home." Ilya Khrzhanovsky's film shoot is, as far as I know, still running.

• How to become a barrister seventies style... - "They did indeed do things differently then. To say I became a barrister by accident overstates things but the haphazard did figure prominently." Interesting slice of legal life as it used to be.

• would i survive a nuke .com - Google Maps mashup allowing you to find out just how dead you would be from the arrival of a number of different nuclear weapons. "Congratulations! You never saw it coming. Consider yourself lucky that there was no suffering. Not even the cockroaches survived."

• Bill Gates' House - paper cutout - Print out these diagrams, get to work with the scissors, and you too can have a paper model of Bill's $97 million mansion.

• Things you'll never know - pseudonymous journalist Lillys Miles, aka Fleet Street Fox, reveals some of the things they don't put in the papers, and why: things like "Keira Knightley in a short skirt (she has stumpy legs)" and "An accurate description of the smell made by a decomposing body"

• Shuffling Cards - "Every time you shuffle a deck of playing cards, it's likely that you have come up with an ordering of cards that is unique in human history." Matthew Weathers calculates the odds.

• Explore The 1985 Argos Catalogue - Anthony Voz has scanned the whole thing and put it on Flickr. "There's lots of wood grain and an amusing selection of video games, computers, dodgy stereo systems and weirdly named portable tape players."

• Cyber War Will Not Take Place - "For almost two decades, experts and defense establishments the world over have been predicting that cyber war is coming. But is it? This article argues in three steps that cyber war has never happened in the past, that cyber war does not take place in the present, and that it is unlikely that cyber war will occur in the future." Nice to know the Institute for Strategic Studies is thinking about these things.

• X-Rated Collection - "Adult movie posters of the 60s and 70s." That just about sums it up.

Happy invoicing!

You've ruined my routine. I normally start at the top link and work down.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      You've ruined my routine. I normally start at the top link and work down.
      Distracted by the old Argos catalogue, eh?

Comment

Working...
      X