• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Auctions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, don't forget to tell the taxman.

Comment

I'm not convinced selling cars on ebay is a good business for an amateur.

I think a professional Ebay dealer is more accountable than a normal second-hand dealer for anything he sells and will almost always have to take back a car or cancel a trade if the customer is dissatisfied. This means they have to have real confidence in what they are selling.

On the other hand, an amateur selling on Ebay is likely to be perceived as such, i.e. as someone who won't go as far to protect his reputation, and this will be reflected in the prices he gets.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
        I'm not convinced selling cars on ebay is a good business for an amateur.

I think a professional Ebay dealer is more accountable than a normal second-hand dealer for anything he sells and will almost always have to take back a car or cancel a trade if the customer is dissatisfied. This means they have to have real confidence in what they are selling.

On the other hand, an amateur selling on Ebay is likely to be perceived as such, i.e. as someone who won't go as far to protect his reputation, and this will be reflected in the prices he gets.
        Well if you are a trader you have obligations a private seller doesn't. I'm just thinking of selling a few privately, and certainly not looking to con people (as many ebay traders are).
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

"I'm just thinking of selling a few privately",

doesn't that make you a trader ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            "I'm just thinking of selling a few privately",

doesn't that make you a trader ?

Milan.
            Sure does. Heard an interview with a tax inspector a couple of months ago on Moneybox. They had recently classified a guy clearing his own loft on eBay as a trader!! In his case that was due to a large number of relatively valuable Dinky toys he was shifting!

Comment

FFS! That's a new one?!?! What limits do they decide on that?

Or is it down to your "tax potential"?
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

This programme was specifically concentrating on the eBay angle. The inspector said they had set up a dedicated eBay unit and reckoned that most eBayers with ratings of 1000+ would come under scrutiny sooner or later. He also said these were usually the reasons they classify someone as a trader:

1. Buying one or more items specifically with the objective of selling them profitably (pretty self evident and fair enough).

2. Selling multiple similar items (Dinky toys in this guy's case).

3. Shifting a lot of high value stuff (even if it was your stuff in the first place).

He gave the impression that it really did come down to whether there was potentially significant tax at stake. After all, as he said more than once, it's only "fair".

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                  FFS! That's a new one?!?! What limits do they decide on that?

Or is it down to your "tax potential"?
                  There is a limit to the amount you can sell. 6 cars per year.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Ah yes, "fair". Whatever could this government explain their policies without this magical, all policy encompassing word such as fair?

That's the same dichotomy of fairness as in "you're an employee under tax rules, but not under employment rules"...

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                      There is a limit to the amount you can sell. 6 cars per year.
                      Bagpuss my good man, where on earth is that mentioned (escuse my ignorance?!?)

Comment

Working...
                      X