• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zopa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zopa

Has anyone borrowed or leant on Zopa?

Thinking of sticking a couple of grand on as a lender as part of an overall investment strategy.

Anyone have any experience of it?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

MF,

the question today is......

let's say we put £1000 on zopa and (i have no idea of the interest rates) but let's say it's 5% per annum

at the end of a year you will have £1050 - tax

it is generally accepted that we are currently in a period of unknown future for the £

what if you put that £1000, split it into 3...

£333 in Euro

£333 in CHF

£333 in Au

at the end of a year will you have more GBP than simply taking a GBP + interest % investment ?

Milan.

Comment

Well Zopa says around 7.9%.

So lets say MB, we split into three currencies and invest all three into Zopa. What is the return?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        MF,

the question today is......

let's say we put £1000 on zopa and (i have no idea of the interest rates) but let's say it's 5% per annum

at the end of a year you will have £1050 - tax

it is generally accepted that we are currently in a period of unknown future for the £

what if you put that £1000, split it into 3...

£333 in Euro

£333 in CHF

£333 in Au

at the end of a year will you have more GBP than simply taking a GBP + interest % investment ?

Milan.
        As long as EUR and CHF track the dollar inversely (one goes up as the other goes down), what's the point of holding both?

As for Au, surely there are too many speculators in it already? Or does that include you, and any chance to pump it is good?
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Right. Get back to the question.

My daughter's got more concentration than you lot!

Has anyone used Zopa (yes/no) answers will get a short sharp reaction!

Comment

No!

Ready when you are!

Comment

Imagine you put "a couple of grand" into Zopa and get 8% back after tax. We'll forget about people defaulting on your loan.

We're talking about £160 interest.

Not even worth worrying/thinking about compared with what might happen in the next three years (minimum Zopa loan period is three years) wrt to inflation, currency devaluation, sovereign defualt, tax changes.

Do yourself a favour and spend it now.

PS. Best thing I did was put a large chunk of sterlings into Gold.
              Last edited by DimPrawn; 17 February 2010, 12:46.

Comment

DP,

very well put

Tarkers,

I have Au, and not worried about pumping, you or I or MF cannot move the market.

Holding Au or CHF or Euro is a question of your confidence in the £

Why to split between CHF and EUR, well it just gives more of a hedge

you should know all this Dad.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  DP,

very well put

Tarkers,

I have Au, and not worried about pumping, you or I or MF cannot move the market.

Holding Au or CHF or Euro is a question of your confidence in the £

Why to split between CHF and EUR, well it just gives more of a hedge

you should know all this Dad.

Milan.
                  If CHF and EUR track opposite to each other, having both does not give more of a hedge. There is a Leylandii quality to some of your posts, though.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

I'm putting another chunk of Sterlings into USD, based on the fact that although both the USA and Britain are seriously fooked, my money is on the $ outperforming the £ in the medium to long term and if one of those is going to go kapput, it's going to be the pound.

Comment

Working...
                    X