• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Zopa

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Zopa"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    DP,

only teasing, sorry,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Interest bearing?

Someone on another forum says these guys pay over 2% interest (yippee) on USD currency. What do you think?
    Not really bothered about the interest, just don't want to hold one single currency that may go pop and be worth zero any day soon.

As well as USD currency I'm also holding a number of US shares that look undervalued and yield on dividends more than you can get in any bank account.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    reminds me of the Britney song

'oops he did it again'....

well this is gonna be interesting to watch

who was the CUK Contributor who converted Euros to £ a matter of months before the £ devalued against the Eur ?

Milan.
    Okay I'll say it again. I converted the EUR to GBP at 1.26

Euro to GBP had historically been trading at about 1.5 for years, so I got a much better deal than if I had converted earlier.

Yes, the rate is now 1.15, so I would have got a lot more by holding, but I didn't have crystal ball.

Time will tell on the USD front.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Gentlemens,

my point is

when currencies devalue, interest rates on savings will be the least of your worries

the challenge at the moment is simply wealth preservation as opposed to wealth generation

to many have lost too much through wealth generation when if they have taken the conservative approach to wealth preservation in the long term they would have won

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm putting another chunk of Sterlings into USD, based on the fact that although both the USA and Britain are seriously fooked, my money is on the $ outperforming the £ in the medium to long term and if one of those is going to go kapput, it's going to be the pound.
    Interest bearing?

Someone on another forum says these guys pay over 2% interest (yippee) on USD currency. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm putting another chunk of Sterlings into USD, based on the fact that although both the USA and Britain are seriously fooked, my money is on the $ outperforming the £ in the medium to long term and if one of those is going to go kapput, it's going to be the pound.

reminds me of the Britney song

'oops he did it again'....

well this is gonna be interesting to watch

who was the CUK Contributor who converted Euros to £ a matter of months before the £ devalued against the Eur ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    who says CHF and EUR track opposite of each other ?

And what does this mean,

'There is a Leylandii quality to some of your posts, though.'

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    DP,

very well put

Tarkers,

I have Au, and not worried about pumping, you or I or MF cannot move the market.

Holding Au or CHF or Euro is a question of your confidence in the £

Why to split between CHF and EUR, well it just gives more of a hedge

you should know all this Dad.

Milan.
    If CHF and EUR track opposite to each other, having both does not give more of a hedge. There is a Leylandii quality to some of your posts, though.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    DP,

very well put

Tarkers,

I have Au, and not worried about pumping, you or I or MF cannot move the market.

Holding Au or CHF or Euro is a question of your confidence in the £

Why to split between CHF and EUR, well it just gives more of a hedge

you should know all this Dad.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Imagine you put "a couple of grand" into Zopa and get 8% back after tax. We'll forget about people defaulting on your loan.

We're talking about £160 interest.

Not even worth worrying/thinking about compared with what might happen in the next three years (minimum Zopa loan period is three years) wrt to inflation, currency devaluation, sovereign defualt, tax changes.

Do yourself a favour and spend it now.

PS. Best thing I did was put a large chunk of sterlings into Gold.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 17 February 2010, 12:46.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    No!

Ready when you are!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Right. Get back to the question.

My daughter's got more concentration than you lot!

Has anyone used Zopa (yes/no) answers will get a short sharp reaction!

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    MF,

the question today is......

let's say we put £1000 on zopa and (i have no idea of the interest rates) but let's say it's 5% per annum

at the end of a year you will have £1050 - tax

it is generally accepted that we are currently in a period of unknown future for the £

what if you put that £1000, split it into 3...

£333 in Euro

£333 in CHF

£333 in Au

at the end of a year will you have more GBP than simply taking a GBP + interest % investment ?

Milan.
    As long as EUR and CHF track the dollar inversely (one goes up as the other goes down), what's the point of holding both?

As for Au, surely there are too many speculators in it already? Or does that include you, and any chance to pump it is good?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Well Zopa says around 7.9%.

So lets say MB, we split into three currencies and invest all three into Zopa. What is the return?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X