• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. II

Following on from the amazing success of last week's instalment, here are some more links to help you avoid the onerous burdens Monday brings - some interesting, some intriguing, and some downright odd:
    • Animals on the Underground - a wondrous bestiary to behold, hidden in the Tube map

• Austin Kleon's poems created by blacking out all but a few words on newspaper pages

• Elephants of Cameroon - Current Elephant Locations - you want to know where the elephants are, don't you? Of course you do. Well, here they are

• If It Had Not Been For Fifteen Minutes - "In 1979/80 my family took part in the biggest espionage scandal that the former country of East-Germany saw in its entire 50 years of existence. Sometimes the smallest details can have the biggest impact on a persons life. In my case this small detail is a mere 15 minutes. If it had not been for a certain 15 minute period, I would not be here to talk about these adventures."

• Staffing: How to Hire So You Don't Have to Fire - "For example, Mapics’ Hofmann asks, What would you do if I gave you an elephant?... One candidate interviewing for a customer support position said he’d slaughter the elephant and eat it. This response suggested to Hofmann that the candidate lacked the warmth necessary for helping customers." (P.S. Don't tell him where the elephants are ) (WARNING: Risk of Interstitial Ad. The skip link is at the top right.)

• The Life and Loves of a Victorian Clerk - some years ago, the City Of Westminster Archives obtained the 1846 diaries of Nathaniel Bryceson, which have now been transcribed and are being published online through the year.

• Earth, observed - "Gathered here are some standout photographs from the collections in [NASA's] Earth Observatory over the past several years."

• Disaster Dioramas - cut-out models of all kinds of disasters, from Apollo 13 to Shackleton's Endurance. "Make sure its okay to use the office supplies before you use the office supplies."

• The Black Triangle - "'It’s a black triangle,' she said in an amused but sarcastic voice. One of the engine programmers tried to explain, but she shook her head and went back to her office. I could almost hear her thoughts… 'We’ve got ten months to deliver two games to Sony, and they are cheering over a black triangle? THAT took them nearly a month to develop?'"

• Rent a German! - "It was awesome! Having a German at the office for a week was a huge success! Since then, my relationship with my co-workers has improved big time! I’ll definitely do it again- It was, like, “oh my god, this is so it!"

Enjoy your invoicing

Working...
X