• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pretty Good New Guide for Dummies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ControlG
    Memories came flooding back when I saw this picture.

In 1976 I did an O-Level in Computer Studies and we were actually recommended to get this book as it provided a good overview.
    I thought computer studies didnt make it into the curriculum until the early 80s?
    ALthough I never studied it, the school used the acorn BBC computers. What did they have in the 70s?

The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Still got one of those Bagpuss - with the 4 disk external floppy thingy. And it still works. Didn't get the Winchester HD.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        I thought computer studies didnt make it into the curriculum until the early 80s?
        In 1976 my school linked up with a local technical college where they had one computer (Data Nova General). A small group (15) were given the chance to leave the school for one afternoon per week and visit the college to do Computer Studies.

Programming in BASIC via teletypes or one VDU.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG
          In 1976 my school linked up with a local technical college where they had one computer (Data Nova General). A small group (15) were given the chance to leave the school for one afternoon per week and visit the college to do Computer Studies.

Programming in BASIC via teletypes or one VDU.

Hmmm, ControlG, that rings a bell...

Comment

At my school, we had the mighty RM Nimbus 186.

Only the dumb kids were allowed to use them, as they could draw colourful shapes on them. Needless to say, I spent many a happy hour there
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Let's see - in 1971, our school had a PDP 8e, with 4k of memory, 4 teletypes and a paper tape reader. You had to set the first 16 bytes of the bootstrap manually, through the front panel switches, then it loaded the OS from paper tape (about an hour on the teletypes, so a system crash was a real bummer - then we got the optical tape reader )

IIRC it was programmed in a language called FOCAL - I think I've still got tthe manual in the loft ...... )
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
              X