• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pretty Good New Guide for Dummies"

Collapse

• hattra
    replied
    Let's see - in 1971, our school had a PDP 8e, with 4k of memory, 4 teletypes and a paper tape reader. You had to set the first 16 bytes of the bootstrap manually, through the front panel switches, then it loaded the OS from paper tape (about an hour on the teletypes, so a system crash was a real bummer - then we got the optical tape reader )

IIRC it was programmed in a language called FOCAL - I think I've still got tthe manual in the loft ...... )

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    At my school, we had the mighty RM Nimbus 186.

Only the dumb kids were allowed to use them, as they could draw colourful shapes on them. Needless to say, I spent many a happy hour there

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlG
    In 1976 my school linked up with a local technical college where they had one computer (Data Nova General). A small group (15) were given the chance to leave the school for one afternoon per week and visit the college to do Computer Studies.

Programming in BASIC via teletypes or one VDU.

Hmmm, ControlG, that rings a bell...

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I thought computer studies didnt make it into the curriculum until the early 80s?
    In 1976 my school linked up with a local technical college where they had one computer (Data Nova General). A small group (15) were given the chance to leave the school for one afternoon per week and visit the college to do Computer Studies.

Programming in BASIC via teletypes or one VDU.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Still got one of those Bagpuss - with the 4 disk external floppy thingy. And it still works. Didn't get the Winchester HD.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Memories came flooding back when I saw this picture.

In 1976 I did an O-Level in Computer Studies and we were actually recommended to get this book as it provided a good overview.
    I thought computer studies didnt make it into the curriculum until the early 80s?
    ALthough I never studied it, the school used the acorn BBC computers. What did they have in the 70s?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Don't be silly, birds were spontaneously created and Zeitghost has been planted here by Satan to deceive the non-believers.
    Is that non believers in the devil, alien liyard things or birds?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Shouldn't you evolve into a bird now?
    Don't be silly, birds were spontaneously created and Zeitghost has been planted here by Satan to deceive the non-believers.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

The smell of punched cards and mylar tape in the morning!

And the racket made by the card punch and tape punch.

And those nice 250k 8 inch floppy diskettes.

Glory days...

Shouldn't you evolve into a bird now?

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Given the state of most public sector IT projects, perhaps you should recommend that they read it?
    Given the state of the public sector, it would be more useful to suggest they learn to read.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    Seriously: my current client has a book called 'An Introduction to BASIC', second edition, by M R Eagle (1976)

This is the public sector, so perhaps it's to be expected.
    Given the state of most public sector IT projects, perhaps you should recommend that they read it?

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    I was working at one blue chip in the late 1980s where very little seemed to have changed in the interim. They were still using coding pads and punch cards, and had only recently decomissioned their paper tape streamer.
    Seriously: my current client has a book called 'An Introduction to BASIC', second edition, by M R Eagle (1976)

This is the public sector, so perhaps it's to be expected.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied

In 1976 I did an O-Level in Computer Studies and we were actually recommended to get this book as it provided a good overview.
    I was working at one blue chip in the late 1980s where very little seemed to have changed in the interim. They were still using coding pads and punch cards, and had only recently decomissioned their paper tape streamer.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Probably one of the most useful ones I've seen yet. I think DCJ learned everything he knows about IT from it.
    Don't know about DCJ, but it could prove useful to me yet! Where can I get my copy?

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    re: Pretty Good New Guide

Leave a comment:

Working...
X